Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Theres a fairy in my scope?

After buying a 4mm TMB and a 12mm ED explorer I have found i seem to have a bright object flittering around in my scope. Was looking at saturn at the time at around 250-375 mag, using a 300P skyliner flextube.

wondering if this is a internal light reflection issue or a eyepiece issue? any suggestions?

(by the way the EP`s are great compare to the standard Skywatcher ones!)

Any lights on in the background?

I like the TMBs, for the money they are excellent.

However I've found them prone to scattering and internal reflections especially if my wife flicks the porch light on (bad girl!) or if I haven't got the twist-top at the right height or my viewing angle is a bit off.

That's all I can think of, although Fireflies (real ones, not the TV series) have caught me out once or twice!

I have no experience with the Explorers so can't comment on them.

Many thanks for the reply, will have a play with the EP eye cup position

theres also a few nasty chrome screws in my scope so will try and cover them up.

Does anyone out there no where to get flocking material (in the uk) please?

As the image from the scope becomes dimmer at high magnification, ie. the exit pupil becomes smaller, we become much more aware of light reflected from eye or face onto the eye lens of the eyepiece. Try dropping a dark cloth over your head (like a Victorian photographer) when looking through the scope. Then at least you will know whether the problem is at 'the little end' of the scope.

And if it proves to be actual fairies, be very polite : they can be cantankerous little critters.

Good luck

Neil

Many thanks for the reply, will have a play with the EP eye cup position

theres also a few nasty chrome screws in my scope so will try and cover them up.

Does anyone out there no where to get flocking material (in the uk) please?

I used blackboard paint to cover the screws, works a treat :)

Archived