Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Mercury 705/ Meade #140 Barlow

I agree it's a good barlow, but the statement was that it was "unmatched" which it obviously isn't.

You are right of course Gordon but I guess the manufacturers blurb is always a bit OTT - Meade seem to be worse than some others with regard to this.

Mind you William Optics tag line on the Megrez 90 instruction manual modestly reads "Crafting the Earth's Finest Astronomical Instruments" :rolleyes:

John

lol, yes because those AstroPhysics people make carp stuff hehe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meade #140 now purchased @ £40.99 before you lot get your mits on it :wink:

Ah, was it second-hand?

advertised as brand new Steve

if not then Mr Trades description will be in touch :rolleyes:

I think this seller is based in the USA (it's a little hard to tell from the ad). If so, I wonder what the import tax / duty situation is with these ?.

John

Just re-looked at the ad, it is hard to tell as he is registered in US but the item location is UK

some excerts from the ad

• [li]GIFT SHIPPING (NO Taxes or VAT fees) [/li]
    [li]SHIPS FAST from UK,USA and listed in UK to make it easier for international bidders to find[/li]

So I'm now confused, knew I should have waited and bought it when there was no red wine flowing :shock:

Having said that he's a powerseller with 99% positive feedback from over 4000 purchases

Just want to be sure on the Meade #140 barlow

I notice off the picture of the meade that the barlow has quite a long tube which is now worrying me a tad

Do i fit the barlow into the scope, then the 45 deg erecting lens into that, then the 10mm lens

OR

Do i fit the 45 deg erecting lens into the scope, then the barlow, then the 10mm lens

will it fit?

Both ways should work. If you put the barlow in first, and then the diagonal, you will get 3X (roughly) magnification, and if you put the diagonal in, and then the Barlow, 2X magnification. If the lens screws off the end of the Barlow and screws onto the filter thread of the eyepiece, 1.5X magnification.

Captain Chaos

• 2 weeks later...

Its not popular with ETX owners for the same reason.

Optically it is very good and you could probably recover your money if you decide to sell it and buy a Tal or Ultima.

Something like this then Steve??

#126 2x Short Focus Barlow Lens Ref: MEA-07273

MEADE

Only 2.5" long, the #126 works well with any telescope accepting 1.25" eyepieces, even those with limited focal range, and maintains the high image quality usually associated with longer Barlow lenses. Can be used in front of the diagonal to give 3x magnification.

Archived