Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Start-up Advice please..

Hiya everyone.

I want to get into Astrophotography. I have spent the last few nights going throught all the threads on the topic here and have decided on the following kit.

Skywatcher Explorer 200P DS mounted on a HEQ5 Syntrek (cant stretch to the pro goto). Also going to invest in a Canon eos 1000D

I can get that little lot for just over £1000.

Now my main question is if I wanted to use this in my back garden. would the fact that I have houses and trees around 3 sides of me make much difference? Sorry I know I am not explaining myself very well here. I know you have to be able to see a certain amount of the sky to set up goto systems. So I guess my question is how much.

Sorry if I am rambling but I dont wanna spend a fortune and find I cant use the stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

As far as I can tell the systrek only drives the motors to slew the scope and keep tracking, you don't align it as you would a goto synscan controller. If you can see Polaris that will help polar align the scope, but there are ways of doing that if Polaris is obscured.

As I assume you will not be guding, you may be better off with a smaller scope for imaging a it puts less strain on the mount and tripod, If you look up eq mod, its a programme for using the laptop for go to instead of getting the synscan hand controller, It's free.

Thanks for the replies :D

If I did want to use a guided goto system what would Happen if I couldnt see the 3 stars I needed to align the system ? Could I use another 3 stars that I could see ?

Thanks

Andy

Archived