Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Battle with processing M81, M82 NGC3077 Canon 7D

David010167

It is definitly an art and a skill to get the best out of astrophotograohy images in processing, a great deal to learn and a greatdeal of trail and error.

This is the first time I have tried this target and possibly the third time that I have tried astrophotography.

I used an un moddified Canon 7D controlled with APT through an ED80 with reducer, on a HEQ5. The camera has an astronomik clip filter to reduce the LP in my back garden.

My images appear to come out very red or very blue, depending on how I approached the processing.

It is not showing very well in this image, but I was surprised to see smigins (technical term :D) of red in the middle of M82.

regards

David

post-21390-1338775608_thumb.jpg

One of the first things I think that will improve your images, before even starting on processing is taking flats. When I used my 7D, I used to get masses of vignette. You can clearly see it on your image, much lighter in the middle and quite a harsh darkness moving out from the middle.

I have only started taking flats in the last couple of days - They scared the hell out of me - but having looked at a quick stack of the data I have been working on, I can not emphasise what a masive difference they make to the image. If you can start out with the best image possible to start, then it will make your processing easier too.

Afraid my processing skills, of lack thereof, can't really help you in your questions though.

Hi Sara, I did take some flats and darks. the image above only contains the darks. When I added the flats I appeared to loose a lot of the detail in the arms of M81.

When you take flats do you take bias frames as well? From what I read on the DSS website you need bias if you use flats, or have I misunderstood?

Regards

David

Archived