Imaging Clusters

After a conversation with CC, he suggested trying to image clusters rather than nebula as it may be easier for the camera.

Any tips on how to do this? Its a real pain having no tracking.

Still I have decided to save up for a EQ5/6 mount for the dob.

Kain

I would say very hard to get good results without any tracking. For the exposure times required to get an image you will get star trails. (especially if zooming in on globulars or small open clusters) :rolleyes:

The only non-planetary / non-moon astrophotography you can do without tracking would be a stack of short exposure widefield images (under 1 minute exposures not taken through the scope).

Vega

I would go with the sun imaging suggestion once you've got a decent filter. Very fun.

As for this:

Still I have decided to save up for a EQ5/6 mount for the dob.

Kain

An EQ5 would be useless. You might be okay with an HEQ5, but for imaging with a 10", I think it would have to be an EQ6. Maybe I'm wrong :?

Andrew

Unfortunatly (from the point of view of your finacial pocket that is!) I would agree that the EQ5 is probably at it's limit with an 8". 10" would be overkill for that mount. HEQ5 (Cant comment as I dont know if it is different to the EQ5 only that it has GOTO function) EQ6 would be fine though.

Vega

Vega, the HEQ5 is a bigger sturdier mount with more load capacity than the EQ5 and doesn't necessarily have Goto. You might be thinking of HEQ5 pro, which is the Goto version of the HEQ5.

I believe though that both the HEQ5 and the EQ6 are fitted with dual motors as standard, which are essential for astrophotography.

Andrew

There are two verions of the HEQ5 and EQ6 out there now. Standard and PRO.

The PRO mounts have the Skyscan whioch is the goto etc. The standard mount doesn't (unless it's been retro fitted).

An 8" scope will go on a EQ3 and EQ5, personlly I think that anything above 8" is too much for the EQ5.

The HEQ5 will take a 8" or 10", I've had a 8" F/5 and a 80mm F/11 guide scope on mine and it seems to take that quite well...

Both the HEQ5 and EQ6 are fitted with Dual motors as standard.

Ant

Kain, can I ask you what your DIY expertise is Like?. There are ways you can build your own driven equatorial. I don't want to give the impression that it is a doddle, but My first driven EQ was built on an 'A' frame. the shafts were out of 1.5" round, and put together with pipe T joints. The declination axis was braked by 3 equispaced teflon tipped screws bearing on the shaft. Tightened to give enough friction to hold the scope in any attitude. If the whole thing is balanced carefully, there is never a problem. For exposures up to 15 minutes, no adjustment in declination was ever required. That of course depended on accurate polar alignment. As this sort of mounting is regarded as fixed, time spent avidly getting the polar adjustmen spot on, means it never has to be touched again. I did not have a drive on the dec. shaft.

My Right Ascension drive comprised of a polar disc at the base of the polar shaft. The diameter was 12". The smaller friction drive disc was via a geared down stepper motor. Minute adjustments to the drive speed were accomplished by tweaking a potentiometer in the stepper control; box. The friction drive was held on to the main polar disc my means of spring tension. The control box had the means to speed up the drive for centering your guide star, then fast and slow push buttons to keep the star spot on the reticle.

I know all this sounds hair brained, but believe me, I could not afford the fancy prices being asked for custom products, I had to make do and mend, and I did. If you are determined enough, and willing to put some effort in, you can succeed in this.

I have a book I can loan you. It is the basic make your own telescope by N.E. Howard. It shows the amateur how he can construct his own mount, as well as grind and figure his own mirror. I have had this book for years, and I think it is brilliant. It served me well.

If you would like to borrow it, even if it just helps you make up your mind to pursue this avenue or not, You are welcome to borrow it for as long as you need. Just let me know. And for goodness sake, don't get so despondent. I am sure there are plenty more guys in the forum who will put their two pennyworth into this for you.

P.S. THat book could be in your local library, but if not, the offer stands, just ask.

Barkis.

Barkis

Have you got any pictures/drawings of that mount?

image.jpg

I don't if this image will show anything you can gain any info from. It was a pretty crude affair, but as I was a novice in what really was required, it was what I thought would suffice. To a great extent, it did.

Barkis. :rolleyes:

Archived