Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

disillutioned

geoff1962

using a skywatcher 200p on an eq5 mount,located m66 and m65 in leo,m13 ,m92,m5,struggling with finding galaxies,using high and low magnifications and wide angled ep,s, collimate my scope before using,cooling scope for at least 2 hours,just a little bit disillusioned with what im seeing,just wondering if im doing something wrong or my expectations are to high,one of my family wanted to buy my scope and i was going to go for a larger one say a meade or a celestron but dont if id be disillusioned again,any information or guidance would be much appreciatedhttp://stargazerslounge.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

You will not get photo quality views doing visual astronomy, maybe you are expecting too much. Your scope or even my scope will only show galaxies as grey smudges. Also if you are observing under light polluted skies then you will strugle finding galaxies, you need dark skies.

Little puzzled.

Is it that what you see is disappointing, or, that you cannot find them to see in the first place?

The replies seem to be saying that you will not get Hubble like images, the original post say "struggling to find".

If you have no pollution and dark skies, just scanning the virgo cluster you should pick up loads of areas of the sky that appear mottled, these are galaxies and the biggest ones you should see are M49, M84, M86, M87, M58, M59, M60, and M100 amoung many more.

I find with galaxies the conditions are either up to it or they are not. I had the same scope out on Wednesday or Thursday night but, despite the condidtions looking similar, Thursday was a wash out compared to Wednesday. I couldn't pick out galaxies that were leaping out on me the previous night.

I find with galaxies the conditions are either up to it or they are not. I had the same scope out on Wednesday or Thursday night but, despite the condidtions looking similar, Thursday was a wash out compared to Wednesday. I couldn't pick out galaxies that were leaping out on me the previous night.

I really have to agree with you , some nights observing seem better than others in what Seem to be clear skies ?

I'm still learning what my equipment and eye pieces are capable of . Joining a local club has really helped me to understand many aspects of observing :D

A great way to start is to have a go at the Messier Marathon in Astronomy Now. It will show you how to find a variety of objects including galaxies. You could also consider getting "Turn Left at Orion" - great book for finding stuff at beginner level. Also "Illustrated Guide to Astonomical Wonders" is another good book with full object info and locating instructions - along with a picture of what you can expect to see :D

I spent around two years looking for the M81 and M82 galaxies with a 150mm reflector and 150mm Mak telescope, I only succeeded when I moved to the outskirts of London from nearer to the centre.

It was still very difficult and they were only slightly better than grey smudges! I was anyway overjoyed and awestruck! I find it amazing that we can actually see another galaxy, however faint.

Practise helps a lot and patience. Plus a good right angle finder scope and star maps. I sometimes don't go out now if there is any mist or a bit of cloud, as it is too easy to mistake this for galaxies and nebula!

I would recommend looking for M57 the ring nebula and the M13 globular cluster as these are a easier to find under light polluted skies, although they appear only late at night/ early in the morning at the moment.

I have a long term plan to buy a big dobsonian, 10 or 12 inches, as this should help.

I look at planets, such as Saturn, to give myself a break from searching for Deep Sky Objects.

I may well start trying to spot the Space Station and satelites and have bought a SLR camera in order to dabble in simple astrophotography. I think it best to try to make this hobby as varied as possible otherwise it can get frustrating what with all the cloud and light pollution!

Archived