Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions on Televue Plossls please

I have three, all of which perform better than Ultima-type Japanese Plossls and Vixen Lanthamums. The 40mm TV has a narrow field, kidney-beans a lot, and is not parfocal with the others. The 20mm shows more detail than a Baader Hyperion 21mm and a lot more than a 25mm Synta Plossl. The 10.5mm TV Plossl (discontinued) is almost as sharp as an orthoscopic. It occasionally turns up secondhand. The 20mm appears most often secondhand because that's the one they dish out in refractor outfits.

I currently own TV plossls in 8mm, 11mm, 20mm and 32mm focal lengths and have used many others in the past. IHMO they are the best standard field eyepieces available. The only ranges that I have personally tried that have rivalled the performance of TV plossls are the Celestron Ultima / Orion Ultrascopics which are also very good.

John

Hi, I'm new here, but have been on other sites for awhile.

As my first post, I thought I'd chip in a few pennies...

I had a Televue 20mm plossl for awhile, and it was pretty much untouchable.

It stayed with me for some time, until I tried a Meade 5000 20mm. I found the increased fov to be pretty much sharp to the edge, and the clarity was impressive in a 10" LX200.

However, to temper this, I had an eyepiece full of comets around the fov edge in a F4 newtonian.

But to use with the LX200, the Meade remained, and the Televue moved on.

Just my two cents. 8)

Rick.

I guess if im looking to use it mainly for planetery then it has to be the ortho's then.

I tend to use longer eye pieces when doing the majority of my observations.

Thanks for the advice guys,i think i already knew the answer just wanted a second opinion :rolleyes:

Now about those orthos then ......... :wink:

I had a Televue 20mm plossl for awhile, and it was pretty much untouchable.

It stayed with me for some time, until I tried a Meade 5000 20mm.

... the Meade remained, and the Televue moved on.

I like him already :rolleyes:

I have a couple of customers who also say (in hushed tones) the Meades are brighter...

Well done for speaking as you find.

Welcome to SGL Rick, thanks for your input.

Dont forget however that the TV Plossls sell second hand for about £30-£50. Keep that price in mind when conidering other eyepieces ie the Meade 5K.

Very true. In second hand terms, few 5000's are around, and those that are, are spendy.

With regards to how near the fov edge the star/comets were, I don't recall. I do remember being surprised and thinking it was a completely different eyepiece...it was THAT different.

Archived