Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

telrad fitted to a 150p

good morning all , i was thinking of fitting a telrad to a 150p is there anyone on here that have done it and if so do you find any imbalance, if you have any pictures it would be a great help (a bit cheeky i know ). thank you in advance stu.

Yes I've fitted a Telrad to my 150PL OTA. I've also fitted a 9x50 RA finder.

I experimented with fitting the finders in different positions and finally settled on this layout. I removed the standard mounting shoe and fitted the Telrad right up against the focuser baseplate. For the 9x50 RA I fitted the mounting shoe right up against the Telrad baseplate but set back a bit. Had to drill a couple of new mounting holes for the shoe but that's about a two minute job. Just cover the secondary with a plastic bag before drilling and stuff an old towel down the tube to stop any metal bits getting on the primary mirror.

I tried leaving fitting the 9x50 on the shoe where it was originally and the Telrad outside of that but it just wasn't that comfortable to use. The focuser has been changed to a SkyWatcher crayford.

Here's a couple of photos.The second photo shows a Bahtinov focusing mask in place.

John

Hi John, thank you for the pictures that is exactly what i wanted to see, my focusser is the std one but with a bit of jiggery pokery i will base the fitting on your photos, That looks a nice setup with the low profile focuser and 9x50. cheers stuart.

Hi John, thank you for the pictures that is exactly what i wanted to see, my focusser is the std one but with a bit of jiggery pokery i will base the fitting on your photos, That looks a nice setup with the low profile focuser and 9x50. cheers stuart.

Your welcome.

I find this setup really easy to use as after looking through the Telrad I barely have to move my head to look through the 9x50. The Telrad isn't that heavy as it's mostly empty space inside so balancing hasn't been a problem.

John

I was looking at getting a RA finder, is that the Skywatcher 9 x 50 ?

It's from Telescope Service. Same as the SkyWatcher but in black which matches the scope. Telescope House sells the Orion version in black as well.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p297_TS-8x50-Finder---with-Bracket---black-colour---90--angled.html

I've got more details on the scope at

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/132678-150pl-f-8-super-planetary-newt-oo-1-12pv-miror-etc.html

John

Hi Stuart, I used to struggle in the first weeks of owning my new scope. The problem I had was using the optical finder... I used to become disorientated by the magnification, it was hard to determine exactly where I was in the sky..

Anyhows, bought the telrad after reading rave reviews on this forum and finding objects became really easy...

The main advantage is that you can look through the telrad with both eyes open so you can see the sky around where your scope is pointing..

Good luck .......:D

Archived