Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 1000d Mod

Hi guys

i recently aquired a canon 1000d of e-bay, its in mint condition so i am very pleased but i noticed that a lot of you MOD the camera to remove the IR filter, i'd like to keep the camera so i could use it as my every day camera and as i intend to buy a CCD once i hone my skills it would be a shame to MOD it.

I have also ordered the M43 hyperion ring which will allow me to use my hyperions in an eyepiece projection fasion so my question is....

Can i buy an IR filter that will screw into my eypieces and do the same job as MODding the camera?

I've so far resisted the urge to mod my 1000D - have a look at my album to see what I've managed so far with it unmodded. The camera's built in filter severeltyy reduces its sensitivity to Ha with the result that the red part of the image is much harder to get. The mod involves removing (and I think replacing with a more narrowband filter) the filter to increase its sensitivity. The camera can still be used for daylight work bu7t the images will tend to come out pinkish - this can be dealt with by setting a manual white balance. Simply adding a further IR filter therefore will not increas its sensitivity.

Hope this helps

Filters can only remove light they can't add it .. although they can improve contrast...

The IR filter is removed to increaserthe sensitivity of the camera at the "cruical" Ha wavelenghts...

You can (few caveats) still use the camera for everyday use even after the filter has been removed...

Colour cast can be taken care of by usign Custom Whiye balance or a OWB (Original White Balance) filter..

You may loose the ability to focus at infinty with some camera lenses , and you may have slight differences in the focus between the viewfinder and the sensor... these can be overcome if they are "cruical" ...

At SGL6 George had a filter removed camera which wouldnt focus with the lenses he had .. but they came to focus when I lent him one of my L series lens... these have signifcantly more travel beyond the infinity stop and hence came to focus infact tehre was enough travel to go through focus at infinity...

The later cameras (500D an newer) have slightly better HA response without modding but still benefit from it...

Billy...

Billy...

Archived