NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using hairdryer to maintain telescope

I have noticed a build up of dust on my telescope's mirrors and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use a hairdryer to get rid of the dust. This is probably a stupid question, (better to be safe than sorry) but will using a high power setting on the hairdryer damage the optics in anyway? Also, if i am de-dewing my scope, is it not a good idea to use the "hot" setting on the hairdryer because of the heat currents it may cause, affecting viewing?

Sorry for stupid questions. :icon_eek:

if you are using a hairdryer on a scope it needs to be on its lowest setting especially when dewed up. if its for getting rid of dust use one of these bulb blowers they give a higher pressure air jet.

Hello Ursa Major - you appear to be asking two separate questions.

Firstly a bit of dust will not be a problem for your mirror. If it gets really dirty then clearly you may wish to clean it and there are many pieces of advice for doing this. Using a hair dryer will not be the method I would use.

Secondly still assuming you have a reflector it is unlikely your primary will get dew on it. Sometimes the secondary will and also the eyepieces. Many astronomers buy a 12volt hair dryer to clear the dew. This hairdryer is not very powerful or hot.

Mark

I use a 12v 'hairdryer' to get rid of occasional light dewing on my Newtonian secondary.

It's only slightly warm, but works, pointed down the focuser, after

removing the eyepiece. If the secondary is dewed up to the point of having

droplets of water, it's time for bed -this has only happened a very few times,

when the scope has been left unattended for an extended tea/cloud break.

Works too for eyepieces/finder.

For mirror cleaning, any dust/crud etc usually only responds to a carefull wash,

it is too stuck on to get rid of by a blower, unless it's a large bit of 'fluff'

HTH, Ed.

Archived