Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The world's best sites for observing

mikeknowle

This just came on on t'internet:

Top 5 spots for stargazing

By Travelbite

Astro-tourism is on the rise and it's not hard to see why - there is nothing more magical and mysterious than the night's sky. From the deserts of northern Chile to the highest peak of Hawaii, here is Travelbite's pick of the world's best spots for stargazing…

paex.jpg

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

A picturesque oasis village - turned tourist hot spot - San Pedro de Atacama, located in northern Chile, is one of the best places in the world for stargazing. The Atacama Desert's crystal-clear skies and dry climate allows observers to view celestial wonders that are impossible to see in other parts of the world. Few will forget the sight of some of the astronomical treasures of the southern hemisphere, such as the 'Southern Cross', which includes a cluster of sparkling young stars aptly named the 'Jewel Box'.

SPACE offers 'star tours' which are ideal for the amateur astronomer. The tour begins with a guide to the constellations of the southern hemisphere, visible to the naked eye; on a good night the entire zodiacal arc is able to be seen. The second part of the tour takes place in a large park of telescopes, where you can observe the moon (and even photograph it through the telescope), Mars and Saturn as well as a multitude of breathtaking nebulae.

Find out more

Sutherland, South Africa

Sutherland, known to locals as the "gateway to the universe", boasts the largest telescope in the southern hemisphere (SALT). The climate, reportedly the coldest in South Africa, combined with the minimal light pollution makes Sutherland a perfect location for stargazers and even without a telescope the sky is a sight to behold.

Take a tour to 'Africa's giant eye' and gain an insight into the mysterious and magical secrets of the universe or just lie back and marvel at the heavens. There are tours and stargazing events almost every week of the year.

Find out more

Hawaii

Known for its idyllic beaches and tropical beauty, Hawaii is also a haven for the stargazer. Perched high atop Mauna Kea - Hawaii's 'big island' - lies one of the world's most celebrated astronomical locations. At 2,600 metres above sea level, the air is clear and pollution-free - and the sky is a twinkling quilt of stars. Head up for the spectacular Hawaiian sunset, as dramatic as the night's sky, to add to the occasion.

You can also study the stars from sea level at the Imiloa Astronomy Centre in Hilo. Imiloa, meaning 'exploring new knowledge', befits the planetariums purpose - to highlight the relationship between the Hawaiian culture and the universe; including an IMAX-style movie presentation of the wonders of space.

Mauna Kea Summit Adventures offers stargazing tours, which includes a tour of the observatories, the use of the powerful portable telescopes and a guide throughout to help you explore and understand the sights.

Find out more Lake Tekapo, New Zealand

Lake Tekapo, situated at the base of the southern Alps in the heart of New Zealand's south island, has the clearest skies in the country and stargazers flock to see the southern stars in all their pristine glory. Study the sky for satellites and iconic constellations, such as Canis Major, home to the brightest star in the sky -Sirius 'the dog star'.

The University of Canterbury operates the observatory atop Mt. John and a variety of tours are available with Earth & Sky. Join a day tour to explore New Zealand's largest telescope or, even better, book yourself in for a 'dark sky tour' and enjoy navigating the southern stars with the help of a knowledgeable guide.

Find out more Tenerife, the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands are another astronomical hot spot - and as the locals like to say -"let the stars smile down on you". Their position in the northern latitude means that it is possible to see all the constellations of the northern hemisphere throughout the year.

Tenerife is home to the Tiede observatory, which boasts some of the largest solar telescopes in the world. Located at the summit of the dormant volcano Mt Tiede, standing at 2,390 metres above sea level, astronomers enjoy clear skies - thanks to the government's crackdown on light pollution. Spot some of the northern hemisphere's well-known constellations, such as the plough and Orion's belt. Take a cable car to the summit of Mt Tiede or join a stargazing tour.

i used to live in tenerife for about 5 years but was not into stargazing then just clubing and girls. i cannot even remember what the sky was like of a night

oh well i will have to remember to check next time i go

• 3 months later...

It doesn't sound like the author has been to any of these locations, so I'd treat this article with a large sack of salt. [Yes: I realise it's only supposed to be a bit of fun and not a serious list of destinations]

However, I have been to the Parador in Tenerife and CAN confirm that it's absolutely excellent.

What the author seems to have missed is the difference between what's good for an amateur on an astro-tourism holiday and what is good for professional observing. The key for an amateur is accessibility - sky quality is only second, since there's no point trying to visit the world's best location if there's no telescope you can use when you arrive - or if you can't take one with you.

I have a mag 7 zenith for good young eyes and own no LP filters of any kind for imaging. SE France is excellent as are parts of southern Spain, well away from the coast and cities. You don't have to go to the ends of the earth.

...but journalists are a funny lot. I got a great write up in what might be considered the most serious newspaper in the world. Ahem, the writer never visited me.

(This is not the Guardian article by Ed Ewing. Ed did visit and took careful and precise notes which he wrote up with total precision.)

Olly

Always been a little puzzled by the inclusion of New Zealand in these lists.

Was out there for a while and the weather is very UK like. Found their summer very similar to ours and perhaps a little cooler. Actually New Zealand is the only place that I have had to pull over and wait for a downpour to pass before I continued driving.

The Maori for New Zealand is: Aotearoa (which literally translates as "land of the long white cloud"). Ever wondered why they called it that.

I know that the air can be immensly clear, it comes up from the Antartic so no pollutants. The statement of "it has the clearest air in the world" I often hear, but a layer of cloud means you have a good view of clouds.

It is a beautiful place, no doubt of that, but I often wonder if the attraction of the country is substituted for the observing potential of the place.

This just came on on t'internet:

Find out more Tenerife, the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands are another astronomical hot spot - and as the locals like to say -"let the stars smile down on you". Their position in the northern latitude means that it is possible to see all the constellations of the northern hemisphere throughout the year.

Tenerife is home to the Tiede observatory, which boasts some of the largest solar telescopes in the world. Located at the summit of the dormant volcano Mt Tiede, standing at 2,390 metres above sea level, astronomers enjoy clear skies - thanks to the government's crackdown on light pollution. Spot some of the northern hemisphere's well-known constellations, such as the plough and Orion's belt. Take a cable car to the summit of Mt Tiede or join a stargazing tour.

Having visited Tenerife in March this year I can confirm it is an excellent place to view the heavens, not only because of the seeing conditions but the ease of getting there.

From Los Cristianos the Milky Way is only an hour and 7000 feet away by car.

Got this pic there Star Trail, Tenerife | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Having visited Tenerife in March this year I can confirm it is an excellent place to view the heavens, not only because of the seeing conditions but the ease of getting there.

From Los Cristianos the Milky Way is only an hour and 7000 feet away by car.

Got this pic there Star Trail, Tenerife | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Some good shots there, great cloud inversions by the looks of it

Archived