NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What should I see with my skyliner flextube?

What should I see with my skyliner flextube?

Recently bought a 300p flextube auto and wondering what I should expect to see?

I`m using the EP`s the scope comes with being the 25 and 10 supers and also have a economy Barlow (planning to upgrade in time). Currently using a laser collimator to align the mirrors before use and then doing an out of focus check to confirm correct on a star.

I have been using the scope to view M42 and the image wasn’t quite as bright as I expected, (compared to my 1145P with both scopes at same mag).

Have then tried M82 and could see a fuzzy grey spot but no spirals etc.

Looking at Saturn the image was bright and sharp but no details on rings or shadows etc, was using the 10mm and Barlow.

Wondering what other people see with the 250px and 300p?

also has anyone done the flocking the secondary and does it improve things for deep sky and planets?

Many thanks

With experience and dark skies a 12" dob will show you almost every object worth looking at. You will see the whole of the Messier catalogue, I expect also the whole Caldwell and Ngc Catalogues.

The Moon will look fantastic and planets awesome, you will see all 8 of Saturns observable moons and Jupiters 4.

Newly discoverd supernova's should be within your grasp if brighter then about mag 13.

A great scope and a life long companion.

But of course the scope needs to be collimated correctly so you will have to learn this.

will i be able to see any detail on the messier objects? eg spiral arms etc

have looked at M1 and was only a grey smudge :)

should have said i have the astro zap shroud for the tube extension area.

M1 is a supernova remnant rather than a galaxy and does not have spiral structure. It's a grey oval smudge through most scopes although a UHC or O-III filter does bring out a little more, but no spiral arms !.

I've seen the spiral structure of M51 with a 12" scope from a dark sky site - I was using a 13mm eyepiece. I've not (yet) been able to repeat this from my moderately light polluted back garden though.

These things are not distinct though, even with a 12", less than good seeing or any light pollution in the sky adversely impacts what you can see.

M51 through a 20" from the same dark sky site was a really eye opener :D

With the detail on the planets, collimation, observing conditions and observer experience all play a big part in how much you will see - it needs to be worked at and gradually you will see more.

skies are fairly dark where i am as we`re not near any large town etc.

Im thinking that i should see a massive difference between a 4.5" to my 12" on something like M42, currently is not worked out that way :D

any pointers?

Make sure your using a low magnfication. If you are using the same eyepiece with the 12" F/5 that you used with the 4.5" you may well be getting loads more magnification which means you will only see the central region of M42 - try a 32mm eyepiece so that you can see the whole nebula.

Thanks John, i think i`ll have a try at M51 next time the skies are clear, will do a compare using the 4.5" and 12".

was also looking to try the bigger nebula e.g M42, M31, M8

Any big nebula recommendations?

When doing the comparison i put a 25 in the 12" being, 1500/25=60 mag

then in the 4.5 put a 10mm, 500/10=50

i could only see a bit more detail in the gas clouds

Im must admit i am a bit worried something is wrong, but the mirrors look clean and have aligned using the laser, and then defocussing a star in the middle of the EP gives a fairly even field (no comet trails)

There was a slight wash effect on the primary when i first built the scope up, however thought it was a cleaning agents that would evaporate. cant see this now in daylight but i was concerned at the time

not sure what else to do ?

Is it a new scope ?.

On a new scope the mirrors should be absolutely pristine, with no marks, stains etc. If it came in from the cold then they might have been some condensation on the glass but that should soon clear.

You mention cleaning agents ?.

Its new, as in less than a month old.

when i built it up the primary had a bluish smeery look, this was the very first peek at the mirror after taking off the dust cover.

I thought that it might be something from when the scope was packed as in a cleaning agent that once the scope was open to atmosphere it would evaporate.

having thought about this further im wrong as the mirror isnt sealed its open around its mounting. i had in my head that this would be a seal space until the dust cap was removed as its quite a good fit and then the scope packaging would seal everything else up. Hence needing to evaporate intially.

so in review i think we`re saying the scope mirror should be ultra clean and be alot brighter than a 4.5" ?

could it be dew?

Had another look in the scope last night and couldn`t see anything on the primary, when in a warm area. planning to have a look at the primary when theres a chance for dew to build up. wondering if theres some sort of residue present that dews up quickly in some area, being the smeer i`d seen before.

thinking of this terms of swimming goggles misting up, wash them out with "fairy" and then no more misting.

did have a look for dew on the night of comparison and couldn`t see anything using a red head torch down the scope.

Hoping that its just a dew issue and i`ll do another compare when skies are good.

I thought that Newtonians didnt really suffer from dew?

hi you got any pics? of your set up , i have the 250px flextube (skywatcher) when i first got mine had same problems with not getting the views i expected , found out it was down to contrast got myself a astrozap light shroud and painted all the shiny bits at the secoundy mirror end focuser tube , nuts , bolts ,etc.. when i am viewing though ep also have a black cloth over my head and ep to stop any stray light from the sides getting in when your eyes get used to the dark .. they was a whole world of diffrence , so try to cut down on light , off axis light, get your eyes dark adapted , see if that helps , dobbie.

I have been planning to do the contrast improvements, but with the scope being new didn`t want to void any guarantee on the OTA.

have seen this thread,

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/99482-improving-flextube-contrast.html

do you just use matt black paint on the screws and secondary?

Will try to take some photos and stick them on here but the set up is all fairly standard with the astrozap shroud and wheels on the base (the wheels are great makes using the scope alot more usable)

Archived