Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time observing - A couple of issues really.

swag72

As it was very windy last night, I decided to put the camera away and try some observing instead. So I waited for Saturn to come above the hill on my horizon and hey presto ............ it was quite cool!

Anyway, prior to that I'd played with the goto and looking at various targets. I found that most of my time was spent wrinkling up one eye, so that I would view with the other - It was very uncomfortable - How do you guys observe for any period of time?

Also, whenever I use an eye piece I find I get a lot of blackness - I can do it with bino's as well, and generally can't see a think. So I spend half my time trying to move my eye / head to get the light in the right place. Is there a trick to that as well?

I am using a 24mm SW EP that came with the scope. When I wanted additional mag, I have a 17mm and 8mm Baader Hyperion. I find the same with them - I am generally looking at my eyeleashes and blackness.

I hope someone can give me some tips as it's very uncomfortable observing. I knew there was a reason that I always stuck a camera on the end!!!

If you can see a nice sharp view of Saturn then your scope is fine.

Most objects are pretty faint and do not look like the pictures on this forum.

Have you tried looking at some clusters. Perhaps M35 or M44 which are splendid objects.

Some people use eye patches if they find closing one eye tiresome...

Do you have any books? Turn left at Orion is a good starter to help you find the top 100 objects..

Don't give up.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi

For my first six months I looked uncomfortably through my right eye I can't close my right and look through my left. Then It occurred to me what if my right eye is rubbish and I have great vision throuh my left. This led eventually to buying a set of binoviewers. I love them and now never use anything else, comfortable and great views I use the williams bino's with the supplied 20mm lenses and a barlow. I occasionally try my other single lens but always conclude the bino's are better both for planets and deep sky.

You have two eyes why do we only use one ?

try and borrow a pair from some one, I can not reccommend them enough

regards Steve

Archived