Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First rain-free night in weeks!

m_j_lyons

FINALLY a night without rain/wind/clouds! After putting the young cubs to bed and with the wife out with her girls it was the stars, the scope, the dogs, and I.

Made quick passes through M41, M44, M38, M37, M36 (just to make sure that none of them had disappeared during the preceding rains). The LP at my house spoiled what would of otherwise been great conditions/location for M36-38.

Spent about 15 minutes trying see the Leo Trio only to be thwarted by the ever-present LP. No fuzzies for me from home (not counting M31 which is just too big to miss when visible).

I spent the next 20 minutes trying to pick out IC348 (featured on page 78 of May's Sky & Telescope) by omega Perseus...no luck. I need to get to a darker location. After spending all that time I almost thought I had a slight nebulosity visible...but I'm not sure if it was just my brain filling in what it wanted to see.

So off to Camelopardalis to chase down Kemble's Cascade (an asterism of about 20 stars that run in a line). The Cascade was pretty easy to find at low magnification. Towards "west" end of the Cascade was NGC 1502. The clusters was visible with the 15mm eyepiece but stood out with more detail at 6mm. Two stars stood out at the core of the cluster anchoring the view.

After about 60 minutes outside my hands were frozen and my ears were hurting - I was not dressed for the conditions so I retired inside to write this report and prepare for what may be a clear/early AM.

Archived