Dual Focuser or not?

The focuser in your link is a good upgrade, but with a bit of DIY the standard

focuser can be improved. Most of them have adjustments to get the tension

right (not too slack or stiff) and to get rid of the side to side 'slop' (when you

hold the draw tube and try to wiggle it)

I've had two Skywatcher reflectors that benifited from a bit of work on the

focusers. On one, there were two tiny and hard to see allen screws (I think

they took a 2mm allen key) If you lubricate, you only need tiny amounts in

just the right place. I got both of them up to an acceptable (to me) standard.

Hard to say if it's worth it to you to upgrade.

HTH, Ed.

If you are the DIY type, it's also not impossible to adapt a knob with Vernier caliper yourself to one of the two existing knobs. I did that with a few bits'n'pieces and a knob from Mentor Components.

Here's one from someone who installed one after I did (I had two more components because the shaft diameters didn't match):

post-22037-133877552343_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ed and Roger. Hmmmmm food for thought. I think I'll try to tweak the one I have first as £100 is a lot if I can get better play out of the one I already have. If not then I'll buy another. Thanks again guys, it's a great place for help when you're just starting out.

Paul

Hi - can you please let us know how you get on ?

I do find mine a bit loose & too easy to move.

(am going to stop reading threads on this site - have spent the next 3 months wages already) :D

Hi Scarlet

I've just tightened the Allen screw about a turn and it's made a good difference. It's about a 3mm key I think, I had mine on a set for a bike. The screw is just behind the locking screw for the focuser. Just try it a little at a time and you may be ok. Haven't done any observing with it yet so I can't comment on that aspect. Good luck and clear skies.

Paul

Now the other question - is it better to buy the 1:10 microfocuser upgrade or the Skywatcher Auto Focuser - both seem ideal solutions for around the same outlay !!

:D Good point Bill.

I have both and I can say given the choice I prefer the auto focuser. I have done a mod on the AF as the slow speed can be a touch quick for our average seeing. The AF works OK for me as my EP's are para focal so I need only slight adjustment between ep changes. If you have different ep's in a collection then focusing between ep changes could become laborious otherwise with the AF as you cannot manually adjust. I have a LP crayford upgrade as apposed to just a DS or micro focuser so whether the standard type are any improvement I cannot say. The LP/DS focuser I have is like butter to focus and the DS with out doubt is a handy feature to tease that last bit of detail out of a planet but you are hands on and no matter how smooth the focuser is if your fumbling around in the dark trying to find the knobs then the image is always going to dance around the view. The AF works a dream on my dob as I like the AZ to run super smooth (wind blows and it moves) and being able to focus with out touching the OTA is a must. I depends on what you are trying to achieve at the end of the day.

Archived