Skywater EQ5/200P - viewing black spot / patch

All,

I hope this doesn't sound completely stupid - but it's lunch time here & was thinking about last nights viewing.

It's the first time i've tried to Polar (well dift in my case) align as I can't see Polaris.

How ever there seems to be a blind spot / patch.

I was trying to watch Saturn raise, but either way around, the scope wouldn't move around that far. I got it fairly near, but then had to lean on / over the tracking motor (which seems to be in a very delicate position.

Am i being completely daft, or missing some vital bit of common sense ???

Thank you.

I assume you mean that you had trouble getting to the eyepiece? If so - you can slightly undo the tube rings and rotate the tube to a more convenient position - then refasten the tube rings.

If not then it is just a case of moving the mount and maybe having to "flip" it from one side of the mount to the other - An EQ5 has no "blind spot" and can point to any part of the sky - its just a matter of working out how to do it. EQ mounts can be a bit confusing to start with!

Archived