Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 250 on EQ6

daz

Daz,

Thanks for the info, it is helpful and I will bear the points in mind as part of the selection process.

I live close to the M1/M25 junction, my mate lives near Kendal in the Lake District. I am meeting up with him the evening of the 15th March, weather permitting, to do viewing from his house. I will see if he is brave enough to let me carry the EQ6 mount for a 100 yds up and down his road as part of a portability test.

I have a weekend away once a month with a mountaineering group, so I get to the Lake District, Dartmoor, Yorkshire, and Wales (was on Anglesey a fortnight ago) and I am back in North Wales in April, June and December. I have noticed the night sky in Nant Gwynant is alot clearer, the stars more brilliant and there are considerably more of them. (light pollution near London is a killer)

I will let you know how I got on carrying the gear in Kendal............. if I still have the energy to type!!

Thanks

Adrian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Daz,

I have survived lifting the EQ6 from my mate's back room to his patio, some 10 yards!!!

You are right, the EQ6 once broken down into parts is easy to carry. I was surprised at the weight of the mount though, it is not an easy carrying shape.

Once assembled we put the Skywatcher 250 scope on it. The views in the scope were good for the viewing conditions, a bit hazy.

The light pollution is still an problem especially the local street lighting plus his neighour's 500 watt outside light that comes on if you approach the fence. But better than near Watford.

I think the choice will be between a Newt 250 on a EQ6 or a 250 dob......depending on funds.

Cheers

Adrian

I have the same set up, and I got to say the views from the 10" do out weigh the work involved in setting it up. Andromeda is simply stunning and Orion neb, I didnet realise this was so big when you pop a 0III filter on it. The moon is blindingly bright but so detailed.

You got a great deal there Daz

RD

I think the choice will be between a Newt 250 on a EQ6 or a 250 dob......depending on funds.

You always have the option of buying the Dob now and then getting tube rings and the EQ6 later and remounting the Newt.

Archived