Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier height comparison

Not heavier than the Skelescope, or at least not the ones I have or can afford. The EQ6 was aquired once it became obvious how heavy the superlightweight thing was, and most of that is the mirror. Rather too much for the HEQ5, so I got the EQ6, and the pier is designed so that the Skeelscope just clears the floor. The standing on thing next to the powertank near the front pier is still required for fitting stuff to the focuser and aiming the beast.

Currently the 200mm Newt. is sat on the taller pier, as the EQ6 can't get low enough for M42 due to the neighbour's hedge. It's complete with ST80 for a guiding attempt and the electric focusing thingy. There's also a 500mm T-mount camera lens sat on the tube rings in case that can be used for guiding.

Current plan is DSLR on the Newt. guided using the ST80 and SC3 webcam, or Atik on the ST80 with narrowband filters in the filter wheel, guided through the Newt. or the telephoto lens. If the camera lens works OK for SC3 guiding, I might manage to image through the Newt. and the ST80 at the same time. Now that would be fun.

The OMC140 Mak. is on the EQ6 ready for Saturn should the clouds ever beggar off.

All currently being quietly drizzled on, now where's that weather bloke gone, I need a word.

Captain Chaos

Archived