Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Paralysis by Analysis - Binos

Bart

Folks,

I have a bad case of paralysis by analysis. I have a pair of Olympus 10x50s and recently got a 6' telescope. I must say though, you cant beat whipping out the binos for a quick sweep across the skies. With the 10x50s its nice to just sit back in a garden chair (+cushion and blanket!!) and travel from object to object. Now I feel I'd like an upgrade in the binos dept. I'm sending back a pair of uncollimated Revelations 15x70s. I've spotted a pair of Konus 20x80s here in Ireland for €105 delivered. I'm tempted. I realise i will see more with the 20x80s but will it be harder work than the 15x70s? Need to stop deliberating and just go for it. Does anyone have any comments good or otherwise on the Konus's and the pros/cons of 20x70s vs 15x70s. Thanks a million.

Bart

The 20x60's will definately need a steady tripod mount. They will work nicely but, having gone to the trouble of mounting them, you might as well have got a larger aperture pair, eg: 15x70's or 20x80's, which will reach deeper.

It is possible to hand hold 15x70's for short periods but not 20x60's or 20x80's I've found. I've a pair of 25x100's on the way which will definately not be hand holdable !.

In some ways 10x50 binoculars are un-upgradeable - of course you can increase the light-gathering power and magnification but as soon as you add a tripod into the equation you lose something as well, at least that's my experience.

I would mirror the comments above - I have a pair of Strathspey 20x90s which are an excellent choice in that price bracket.

Tim

I have a pair of 10.5 x 70's - and that is the most I will try to hand hold for magnification or for weight. Bigger than that and I want a tripod. 20x80's are terrific! The magnification and aperture give you views you will NEVER get in any pair of 10x bins for sure. Color, resolution, # of stars, nebulae detail, reaching to fainter targets - all are better with big bins - but the trade off in weight and effort is the same as with a scope.

Still, the views are very much worth the effort, but I'll never give up my casual hand-held binos. Besides, they are the best way to introduce a friend to the skies. :D

Dan

Archived