Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please could someone take a look at my image?

Having been inspired by some wonderful images of the Rosette Nebula on SGL the last few weeks, I thought I'd give it a go. However, I'm a real noob when it comes to imaging, especially image processing, and at the moment I just seem to be going around in circles. No matter what I do, I just can't seem to pull anything decent out of the image, apart from a vague hint of nebulosity in the bottom left corner.

I've gone through as many tutorials as I can find to no avail. I've tried processing in both CS4 and Nebulosity with approximately the same results.

The image was taken on a SW ED80 with a modded Canon 500D, 24x600s exposures, ISO800, with darks applied. I have no clue how to take flats.

The first image is generally what I end up with. This one was saved from Nebulosity.

The second image is a jpg taken directly from the DSS output TIFF, with no processing applied.

All helpful comments appreciated and very gratefully received.

post-19904-133877549176_thumb.jpg

post-19904-133877549184_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy

I'm sorry to tell you that you're off target south westwards by about 30mins. Your image looks to be rotated so that north is towards the bottom left corner and the nebulosity that you've got at the bottom of your image is the south western outskirts of the rosette.

I've attached a screen shot from Stellarium to show where you are.

Look on the brightside - at least you got some of it!!

Cheers

Steve

post-19045-13387754923_thumb.jpg

Hi again Andy -

Actually you're nearer to a degree out. Judging by the Dec lines on the Stellarium screen print. The "core" of the Rosette is at about +5 degrees - your image is centred down at about +4 degrees.

Hope this helps

Steve

Also, looking at your image, you really need to take some flats to remove the vignetting otherwise, when you get on target, it's going to make it very difficult to process.

There's plenty of info on the forum about taking flats, but just to get you started, I put a piece of white paper over the front of the scope, point it at a bright sky and take exposures so that the histogram peak is about a third from the left of the graph. You need to make sure your camera is in the same orientation as when you take your light frames with the same focus. You'll probably find your exposure needs to be somewhere roundabouts 1/100 (just a rough guide)

Easily done to miss the target, I try to pick out some main stars in a shorter exposure and check them against a reference image if possible, that seems to work okay for me at the moment.

Your stars are looking good right to the corners!

Archived