NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunt ls60 Tha

nigelg

I haven't used a FT-equiped Lunt but I'm perfectly happy with the two standard Crayfords I've had for visual use (although one had to be replaced by Lunt first as it was a bad 'un). I gather that the FT is heavier duty and can hold heavier loads like imaging equipment. It will no doubt be smoother in operation too.

Ant

I have a FT on my SV80S, but I have never tried the lunt unit. I can tell you my scope's FT is very smooth and I have not had problem with my equipment slipping. However, whether it's worth the extra expense varies from person to person. It's best to try both out before you decide.

I have a replacement TS 11:1 crayford on my Lunt (which is probabely in the same league as the Lunt stock focuser) and its quite up to the task with a heavy Baader mark V binoviewer, runs smooth and holds the bino in place.

So I couldnt justefy the FT for myself and would rather spend the difference on something else.

I find that the standard focuser works very well on my Lunt 60. I have used the same Feather Touch that is used for the upgrade, and yes you certainly can tell the difference in smoothness and precision, but the standard focuser is still very good and I didn't feel it was necessary to spend the extra for the Feather Touch in this case.

John

Pretty good answer from Stuart! I have a FT on a TEC140 and it is brilliant but on a solar scope you won't hang a shedload of heavy gear off it and the sun, unless you live in the tropics, won't be on the zenith! On my LS60 I have the standard Crayford and have no issues with it. It doesn't ooze quality but it works fine and you are not forever changing EPs with a solarscope so it doesn't have much to do in life...

Olly

Archived