Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need a new scope and supplier - uk buyer

HI

It's time to replace me old 8" dob, I think I've seen as much as I can with that aperture so it's time to spend some cash amd get a new scope :)

My budget is £2000 - £2500, I'd like as big a scope as possible, computerised and that can be transported, I don't want another dob, my mate has a 12" Skywatcher flexliner goto dob, it's a great scope, but it's a bit too heavy and akward to reallistically get into my car, although it does fit and I helped him move it about.

Any ideas please for a scope and a reputable supplier in the U.K?

Thanks

You will have to replace the mount as it's not up to holding a C11.

You can buy with confidence from First Light Optics.

I don't get that? why would a manufacturer/supplier sell a scope on a mount not fit for purpose.

I don't get that? why would a manufacturer/supplier sell a scope on a mount not fit for purpose.

It is fit for purpose (it will support the scope and point it in the right direction when you use the GOTO) but it will shake a lot when you focus.

From my research, when I originally bought a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, the CG5 mount is just about OK for observing in still conditions with anything no heavier than a C8 but, I believe, useless for imaging or observing when a breeze gets up.

Got a CPC925GPS, and nothing short of a force 9 gale is going to shift that!

Brinders :)

If it is fit for purpose then it is only just so. Since Celestron's blurb suggests astrophotography then it is patently not fit for purpose.

A C11 is quite a beast to move around. I'd make sure you have seen and handled one before deciding. Very attractive prospect though.

Suppliers? FLO and Ian King Imaging. onest, efficient, well informed.

Olly

Hi

Thanks for all ther replies, good reading and made me think a bit.

I wont be using the scope for imaging but goto a must.

Tonight I've been offered a 12" Skywatcher Skyliner 300P Synscan FlexTube GOTO, my mates offered me his scope which is 2nd hand but in mint condition as I helped him buy and moveit only 2 weeks ago, i could manage it in the car quite easily. He feels it's too big for him to manage in and out of the house into his garden, so he's looking to get a Nexstar 8SE instead.

I know I wasn't thinking of another dob but he's willing to let me have it for £850 and it still has 4 months warranty.

It also comes with It came with 3 eyepieces, the standard 10mm & 25mm 1.25, a 30mm 2" wide angle, 2" Narrow Band Nebula Filter a 2x Barlow Lense, laser collimator

What do you guys think? Will it compare to the CPC 11? It saves me nearly £1500

I'm really tempted....

Well I bought the dob as my mate was keen to sell it, came with some good accessories, now waiting for dark skies, managed to get the scope and base into the back of my.varsity ease, its not too heavy

Archived