Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iota Leonis

This is a new one for me :). The data I have on it is:

Magnitudes: 4.1, 6.7

Separation: 1.7″

Position Angle: 108°

Distance: 79 Light Years

Stellar Classification: F4, G3

I was using my 6" F/6 Meade AR6 refractor and found the split pretty tight but clear at 200x (6mm Ethos). The brighter component appeared white and the fainter one pale grey / white. 240x (Ethos 8mm plus Antares 1.6x barlow) enhanced the split more.

The separation seemed to match the data more or less and the split was made more challenging by the significant difference in the brightness of the two componants.

The fainter component is, I believe, simular to our Sun, which adds to the interest here I think :(

Lots of moomlight washing this area of sky currently so binaries are good to turn to while waiting for Saturn to rise above the rooftops.

Hi John, interesting read, I thought I would have a look to see what is said regarding it,

thought you may enjoy reading this

Iota Leonis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

Thanks Alan.

It was considered extremely difficult to split a few years ago - the 1962 data had the separation at just 1 arc second which, with the major brightness difference, would have made it very difficult indeed. It's widened a bit now and the split, though tight, was definate and very pleasing to view. albeit that high power is needed :(

Thanks Alan.

It was considered extremely difficult to split a few years ago - the 1962 data had the separation at just 1 arc second which, with the major brightness difference, would have made it very difficult indeed. It's widened a bit now and the split, though tight, was definate and very pleasing to view. albeit that high power is needed :hello2:

Good job in seeing the pair split. Yes, to be able to observe a star similair to our sun would have one thinking :hello2:

Perhaps the wiki info should be updated?

Split this last night. Decent separation seen with my 16" at x377. I know it seems like a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but it was good to see :D

I estimated the PA at between 112 and 110 degrees. Not sure what it is supposed to be at present.

Nice one Seb !

I managed it with my 10" F/4.8 last night but only I think because I knew what to look for. My 6" refractor gives more neatly defined star images so, asthetically, the split looks better with that.

With my 8" f/6 OOUK Newt. I could just suspect the companion at 171X, at 240X it was an obvius split and at 320X it was wide open. Very nice view indeed. To me the primary was white and the secondary greyish.

Seeing was just above avarange (5-6/10), no wind and -5C

Observing was made 25/3-11 at 22:00 - 22:30.

Read in the magazine Astronomy Now it was the double of the month so I thought I give it a try as I have never logged this binary before and it was a very nice succes!

Clear Skies,

Magnus

Sweden

Thank you John!

For sure you do need some mag. to get e real split of this little [removed word] and also decent seeing. I tried this one 20/3 when seeing was a lot worse and I could defenitely not notice any trace or hint that this star is actually a double.

/Magnus

• 2 weeks later...
Tried this last night and could not get a split at x300 with a 10" SCT, seeing was abysmal

I was struggling with my 10" newtonian last night as well - just about managed it but only I think because I've split this with other scopes on better nights.

I have to say I tend to prefer refractors or my mak-newtonian for binary star viewing.

interesting, my little Zenithstar 66 could easily split Algieba, which is rated to be reasonably hard (at least in Neil Bones excellent deep sky guide). Refractors generally are better at this type of thing I believe.

Archived