Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wobbly Focus

I don't know if it is the decking my mount is on but when I am viewing saturn I am struggling to focus as everytime I touch the focus wheel the object wobbles so can't tell if it is properly focused, the same happens while viewing - the object shakes in the EP and I can't hold focus so am struggling to pick out the finer details.

I am being heavy handed or do I need to move the mount off the decking?

I did manage to get a beautiful view of saturn and at least 2 moons.:)

I have this exact problem with my Skywatcher Explorer 130p GOTO. Is yours a dovetail clamp with a single screw? this is where I find most of the wobble occurs. If so, I find screwing the dovetail REALLY tight helps slightly, but not completely. Also try not extending the tripod legs at all if possible, and dig its feet into the grass. Other than that, putting a brick on the accessory tray also adds slight stability.

One last thing to try is cleaning the sticky grease stuff off the focusser rails. This makes the focusser move more fluidly. Hope that helps! Enjoy Saturn!

Archived