SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Will deep space exploration/ colonization ever be possible?

mylatestwhim

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only hard part of space exploration is getting to LEO. Once you've done that as the old saying goes, you're half way to anywhere in the solar system.

So far as propulsion is concerned, we've known for half a century or so how to build atomic rockets - ones that use fission as the source of heat to expand a propellant. While they couldn't be run inside the atmosphere, once away from the planet (and on a trajectory that wouldn't bring them back, close if anything went wrong) they are much more efficient than what we have now. The hard bit is getting them up there ...

The only hard part of space exploration is getting to LEO. Once you've done that as the old saying goes, you're half way to anywhere in the solar system.

So far as propulsion is concerned, we've known for half a century or so how to build atomic rockets - ones that use fission as the source of heat to expand a propellant. While they couldn't be run inside the atmosphere, once away from the planet (and on a trajectory that wouldn't bring them back, close if anything went wrong) they are much more efficient than what we have now. The hard bit is getting them up there ...

How about building them up there?

Who would you trust your skin to on an unexpored planet: the ex-SAS survival training instructor with a degree in Agricultural Sciences or the left-handed single mother's dance cooperative leader with a degree in Gender Studies?

I laughed pretty hard at this. and the whole US ignores it's poorer citizens (which just so happen to be immigrants and blacks for the most part, I know how terrible that sounds but I grew up in the southern US)

but I agree whole-heartedly with your statement. It certainly won't happen within mamdy pamdy land here (read: United States). :)

Who would you trust your skin to on an unexpored planet: the ex-SAS survival training instructor with a degree in Agricultural Sciences or the left-handed single mother's dance cooperative leader with a degree in Gender Studies?
Heh, heh. I understand your point, but there's a problem. So long as you have just one SAS type you're fine - they'll assume the leadership role and everyone else will be their slave. However if you had 2 on the mission - you've got a war on your hands.

The thing about a colony is that you have to expect the vast majority of colonists to die. That means it will only be people who's prospects "at home" are worse than that (or the romantic adventurers or the hopeless optimists) would be attracted to the idea. Personally I'd be happier having the expedition led by a left-handed single mother than an optimist or adventurer.

From Wikipedia: "It is reported that at the 2008 Joint Propulsion Conference, where future space propulsion challenges were discussed and debated, a conclusion was reached that it was improbable that humans would ever explore beyond the Solar System."

Ian.

Archived