Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with my eyes

Hi everyone,

Bit of a cryptic title I know ... but I really need some help about my eyes. I normally wear vari-focal specs but don't use them when observing. When I'm looking at a planet, say Saturn, though a 10mm eye piece all I see is a bright white semi-fuzzy ball even when it is in focus (same with other planets actually). After just a few moments, my right eye goes sort of blurred and I have to stop observing for a while. It's almost like a burning sensation. The eye returns to normal and then I can look again. This is beginning to get me down and I was wondering what might be the cause ... and if there is a solution.

Would an EP with greater eye relief be a better choice for me? Should I get some extra specs with fixed (long distance) focus?

I currently have SW supplied EPs and a Vixen 10mm EP on my SW 150PL.

Many thanks.

Pete

Do you have the same issues when looking at stars??

If you can't get a good focus without the specs, then unfortunately you'll have to wear them....

Eyepieces with good to V good eye relief is what you need.

I'm sure someone will come up with a recommendation....

If you get on better using specs then by all means get yourself a pair specially for it, it needn't be expensive. I use goggles4u.com for all my specs, you pick your frames feed your prescription details in and it takes about 2 weeks for your glasses to arrive.

Hi.

Sorry to hear of your viewing problems.

I use varifocals on a daily basis, but get on much better with contact lenses (for distance & astig) when using a scope.

I don't know what to suggest for you immediately.

The link below leads to a long discussion on SGL about options for viewing. You might find something in there to help.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/126639-astigmatism-question.html

David.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I should have added that my eyes are pretty bad ... right eye really short sighted with some astigmatism, left eye long sighted with bad astigmatism. I'm naturally right eyed.

Merlin66 - not really with stars. I think it is just the brightness of the planet that is compounding the problem. I can get a good focus if I take my specs off and use my right eye for observing.

Steep - thanks for the link. Is this just a US company? We have SpecSavers over here which I could to get another cheap pair.

David - thanks for your link too. Interesting reading.

Cheers

Pete

stargazerlily googles4u is US based but the glasses come from Pakistan, the last pair I bought for my pince nez conversion were less than £20 all in.

/edit I should say that I'm in Scotland, not the US.

Archived