NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 - gradually improving

old_eyes

M42 from my drive.

20 x 120sec subs with unmodded Canon 1000D at ISO 400 on an Equinox 80ED.

Stacked with DSS, processed with PixInsight and tweaked in PS.

Focus is a bit off, but I am pleased with the detail in the nebula, and capturing the Running Man for the first time.

old_eyes

post-17595-133877545162_thumb.jpg

You know... 20 years ago an image like that would typically be taken through professional scopes at large observatories... like the 100" Mt Palomar...

Pleased with the result... you should be, I wish my images came out that good !

You know... 20 years ago an image like that would typically be taken through professional scopes at large observatories... like the 100" Mt Palomar...

Pleased with the result... you should be, I wish my images came out that good !

Yes - I never cease to be amazed that this actually works, and you can do it from your own garden with pretty simple kit and the magic of computers.

As a lad I used to drool over David Malin's film images (and I still do), and yet every week you see people on this forum doing equally amazing things with amateur gear. This must be a great time for the pursuit of amateur astronomy.

old_eyes

Great image. I cant see the focus being off myself. I like the soft velvety look on images of M42.

Colours are also spot on. Look exactly like what most people expect.

Thanks. I used the high-pass filter in PS to bring out the detail in the nebula.

If I zoom in on the original image I can clearly see that even dim stars are blobs not pinpoints, and a short test image showed that I wasn't fully resolving the trapezium stars. But I haven't reached the standard yet where I can afford to throw away ANY data :o.

old_eyes

Archived