Altair 102 F6.5 TRIPLET APO

Dear all,

Does anyone know anything about / have any experience of this refractor?

I visited my local scope shop and the assistant was very keen on advising me to buy this scope. Have to admit I'd not heard of Altair before.

It seems expensive but the guy assured me the scope would not disappoint and benefitted from excellent consruction and assurance. I am going t have to save up for this one!!!

All advice welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

This may not be much immediate help Matt but this scope, like many others, is could be sold by different people, in different countries, under different names. If you can find out its "aliases" then it would make it easier to dig up reviews/ info on it. For instance, a company called "Bosma" sell a VERY similar telescope.....;O)

http://www.bosma.com.cn/en/productgn_info.asp?id=964

Altair Astro

Might be a good place to start your enquires...:(

• 2 months later...

I agree that the spec/price ratio for this scope seems very good,one of the cheapest Triplet APO's for that aperture out there.

Not much other info I can find on the scope though.

I'm very new to this game, but for me it's currently between this and the SW Evostar 120ED for my first all-rounder visual & imaging purchase.

What do people think? A cheap-ish Triplet or an established doublet? :)

Cheers

Altair Astro's 115 triplet is outstanding. I have one here on test.

I tend to beware of aliases because the specs called off by the marketing companies can vary even when the instruments seem to be the same thing.

Olly

Altair Astro's 115 triplet is outstanding. I have one here on test.

I tend to beware of aliases because the specs called off by the marketing companies can vary even when the instruments seem to be the same thing.

Olly

Yes I've seen supposedly identical scopes under different brand names that aren't actually identically specced by the retailer. Even if the scope comes off the same assembly line it doesn't mean that they are the same. Specs for lens coatings in particular can vary depending on what price the dealer wants to pay and what level of quality control and hand finishing is involved. A real can of worms so to speak. However there are some retailers I trust more others to get it right.

John

Archived