NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Extension bar or more counterweights?

I have a pier-mounted NEQ6 with three counterweights, and I just wondered whether it's better to have more counterweights or an extended counterweight bar.

It's just that my obsy is pretty cramped, and the long counterweight bar gets in the way. If I used 4 counterweights, then I wouldn't need the extension, but the weight on the overall mount would obviously be increased. Would I be in danger of straining the mount, given that I already have a 10" Newtonian, Canon DSLR, and ST80 guidescope on it? My instincts say yes.

Here's the setup with three counterweights (Note that normally the weights are closer to the end of the bar):

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture7610-lukes-soft-top-obsy.jpg

Another "gut instinct" Luke but, assuming the mount will take the payload, I prefer more weight closer to the mount. If you are balancing a certain playload out with weights then putting less weights at the end of a long bar is stressing the mount just as much as more weights nearer the mount, it still has to balance a certain payload and the motors still have to move the same (to it!) combined weight.

Useful comments, guys. Thanks. Hadn't considered that a longer bar could also create vibration problems.

I just removed the bar extension and put on a spare counterweight, and the extra few centimetres makes all the difference to access round the scope. Less chance of crashing into it, or getting my red torch string caught up in it!

Archived