Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Flaming Star Nebula (IC405)

Neil I

This was a bit of a test of the scope after stripping the secondary and spider out to try and finally fix the problem which caused previous images to have thick diffraction spikes, plus an extra pair of spikes on really bright stars. I think I've sorted the problem now. There was a slight twist in one of the spider vanes and the focuser tube was also protruding too far into the scope. This image was taken over 3 nights and is my longest so far. 105 x 4min subs with darks,flats & bias. I'm not sure if the colour balance is right as I have 2 monitors and they both need some calibration. The image seems too blue on one screen and green on the other. Anyway, here it is. Taken with the unmodded 1000d, guided with Maxim and processed in PS.

Cheers

Neil

post-14123-133877542973_thumb.jpg

Neil, that is a beauty. The reflection nebulosity shows as a really delicate blue. You have some green/cyan background colour bias on my monitor (which I think is pretty accurate) but otherwise spot on

Hi Neil

Nice Ic 405 impressive. and then with a unmodded canon 1000 even when you have a long total exposure time.

Have even tried nebula with a modded canon 40d since it also requires a fair amount of time.

Good details in the fog, could perhaps be stretched a little more, just my opinion.

see my link to ic 405 http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5327409702_c0bf344747_b.jpg

Great going Neil...

It can be an absolute ************ (too many choices!), to process too - as I found out recently, but you've got distinction between the red and blue areas...

nice and sharp, star colours also... perhaps a green bias as Martin mentioned...?

Clear skies,

Damian

Thanks for the comments guys. It was definately a tricky one to process and also quite dim considering the 7hrs of exposures. I had a crack at creating a star layer with this image which worked pretty well and it's kept a lot of the star colour. I'm sure there's more to squeeze out of this image, just need a bit more practice :(

Cheers

Neil

Archived