Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount worries

Hello again,

I managed to take the scope out to a dark sky site last night, and managed to get a brief (5 minutes tops) session in before the clouds rolled over. I spent the time looking at the moon, which I'd never seen through a telescope before. Absolutely fantastic.

However, the pleasure of the observation was marred by the fact that my scope was bouncing around like a mad thing in the light winds blowing past. So, I've been wondering what my best course of action is.

Is the AZ3 any more stable than the EQ2? If so, as I don't really want to get into Astrophotography, that might be a good buy. Alternatively, would the EQ2 be OK on a sturdier tripod?

Thanks in advance,

Ali

You really need to upgrade the mount to something heavier duty Ali - an AZ-3 won't be any better I fear. An EQ3-2 is an improvement and can be fitted with the steel tube legs like the EQ5 and HEQ5 have. Your scope would be pretty solid on an EQ5 or a CG5 - you can get those for around £100 used if you look out for them.

The EQ3-2's great for lighter ota's but for the next significant step EQ-5 or CG-5 are hard to beat at around £100-£120 s/h. Unless you go spending silly money for heavy duty bells and whistles of course :(

Thank you all for the advice so far. I'll discount the AZ3 option then.

Another question; would the EQ2 be an acceptable mount for a lighter scope, such as a Startravel 80?

I'm just thinking, if I were to go up to an EQ5, would the EQ2 still be a useful club to have in the golf bag?

Ali

Short tubed scopes are much less demanding on mounts. Celestron used to sell a 5" SCT on the equivalent of an EQ2 mount. An ST80 or ST102 would be quite at home on there.

Hi Ali. I recently bought an EQ5 for a 4'' refractor. IMHO its a super mount. Keeps the scope rock steady even in light wind. I think the EQ3-2 is pretty good as well as long as its the one with the steel tripod. The Evostar 90 should be happy on either.

Archived