Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking about a small grab-and-go Mak

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ditto - big dew problems on my 127 Mak for the first two nights, when new. Then did a bit of work with a camping mat - not a trace of dew since, even when everything else was running with it!

My d-i-y bodge is about twice as long as the objective is wide, and I didn't bother with the traditional velcro. Just cut mat to fit circumference of the front of the tube, and then gaffer-taped the inside and outside of the mat seam. Now a really snug fit - no chance of it blowing off. Seems to work for me :hello2:

Got to agree with this. 10mm camping mat dew shield secured with two nylon tapes with adjustable buckles keeps the Skymax 150 clear - extends out about 1/2 the scope length. Out on Friday night with frost on the grass and the finder useless from dew. Not so much as a hint on the front end of the Mak. Come to think of it, the next DIY job will be a small one for the finder...:hello2:

So don't let dew put you off a Mak. Focussing, now that's a different matter...

There really is no reason that a mak should fog up faster than a refractor, which has even thicker glass up front. All refractors come supplied with a dew shield, which is why they stay clear. Add one to a mak or SCT, and you are generally OK.

Zacktly. Would you use a refractor with no dewshield? :hello2:

Andy.

Archived