Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second go at the Rosette Nebula

Dave Smith

On my first attempt I learned two main points. 1) I needed to use a shorter focal length (600mm rather than 900mm) to fit it all in, and 2) I did need a light polution filter. That attempt can be seen http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/129389-first-light-modded-dslr-rosette.html

This time I used my Celestron 80ED and an Astronomics CLS filter which enabled me to do 10 minute subs. Total exposure time 2hr 50min with darks and flats. Stacked in DSS and processed in PS CS2. I also applied Peter Shah's star reduction action.

I have the neat image plugin but basically don't know how to use it with astrophotos. Any help would be gratefully received.

Rosette001.jpg

Any further processing tips also gratefully received.

Dave

Excellent shot. Great detail and colour. Do you have a link to a web page for Peter's star reduction action?

I gave this ago last night as well, however at a 1200mm FL I dont think there is not going to be much detail, ie it will be far to closely cropped. Its quite fascinating to think there were a bunch of us all over the country looking at the same part of the sky!!!

The only thing for me, that is distracting, is the red border. But thats me being picky :)

The only thing for me, that is distracting, is the red border. But thats me being picky :)

I hope this is better. I had put a red border on the pic on my website which somehow got transferred to here. I agree it was too distracting.

Dave

PS if it still looks red hit the refresh button.

Nice to see all of the Rosette :)

Im wondering though, whats the dark band across the top of the frame? Im not sure if its my eyes playing up or not!

I am amazed that you can see it, but yes there is a dark band near the top of the image. Below is a slightly stretched version of one of the subs which shows it clearly. I have an idea of what it may be but will ask about this in a separate thread.

Dave

post-14654-133877541765_thumb.jpg

I get a black band on most of my DSLR images but its tight to the edge not slightly into the image... It normally "disappears" with flats...

Glad your able to get the longer subs now your using a LP filter...

Soem of the really deep Ha images show just how much further the nebulosity extends ... the stuff which we tend to see as "noise" ...

Peter...

Archived