NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Think im sold on the SW 150P..

The 150P is the same scope I started with - excellent bit of kit - very capable on most object types and gives great views with decent grade ep's.

Collimator is pretty essential with a newt, and moon filter very useful for reducing the glare and eye strain.

You may want a barlow and better ep's at some stage but you have to know what you're doing when buying glass so start reading I'd say. The supplied ep's are enough to get you going.

A red light will help preserve night vision and a book like turn left at orion to start finding out what's what in the sky. Monthly magazines are good too (Sky at Night and Astornomy Now have regular night sky guides).

Hope that helps :)

I got Turn left at Orion the other day, a great insight and what i will be searching for :)

What collimator should i look at getting with the scope and will a SW moon filter be upto the job? once settled i will look into further ep's but will first learn how to use the scope.

Thanks

Jay

I bought this scope last month and have been very pleased with it so far. I did get a different mount though only as my primary focus is on photography.

I think the supplied eyepieces are certainly enough to get you going and a moon filter would be an idea. I looked at about a 3/4 moon and it nearly blinded me. Totally wasn't expecting it to be that bright!

Dont forget you can also reduce the brightness of the moon by replacing the tube cap on the end and removing the smaller cap. The focal ratio is slightly changed too but not enough to be significant when looking at the moon :)

Thanks guys, i think i will just order the scpe and mount and see how i get on, although im tempted to get a light pollution filter with it, as i have an annoying street lamp outside!

Jay

I purchased this scope s/hand 2mths ago & agree with the comments above, its a very capable scope & ideal beginner scope.

I've been using Turn left at orion too an find it excellent for what i want ie someone to tell me where to look :)

I too viewed that not 5 mins ago! im in Leeds though and dont fancy the drive down to Plymouth, i think im going to get a new one. That way i know that it will be right from the box and any issues i can resolve them via a shop, thanks anyway Ronseal :)

Jay

Jay, I haven't got any filters yet but certainly looking to get a moon filter - after reading the above I might get a light pollution filter too as I've a bypass high level sodium streetlight 40m away shining into my garden.

Chris

Forgot to say the Moon is awesome, so much detail, and Saturn is A M A Z I N G !

I got the same one (except with GOTO) and I'm really pleased.

As Brantuk mentioned - the eps/barlow will need upgraded at some point but so far so good!!!

I ordered it from FLO (it came with moon filter).

The cheshire additionally cost me £26.

:)

The Cheshire collimating eyepiece on FLO is all you need, I checked mine 2 wks ago & it was slightly out but hadnlt noticed anything viewing.

Checkout Astrobabys website for a good tutorial on how to go about it.

Thanks Ronseal, think ill just get that with the scope and see how i go. Will prob order it tomorrow im off work Monday to Thursday so should be with me Tues / Weds. Heres hoping for clear skys!

Jay

Hi Jays,

I think you are making a great choice of scope.

I got my 5/6 weeks ago and although I haven't given it the use I would like due to the awful weather have been really pleased.

As you come from Leeds you might like to consider Rother Valley Optics, a really helpful company and nice guys to deal with. I bought my scope there and Ian checked the collimation for me and showed me what to look for which I felt was really useful.

Whatever you decide enjoy your scope, we look forward to reading your first light report.

Enjoy and clear skies.

Archived