Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

solar filter on small mini truss dob.

Lux1

Can i fix a solar filter across the top of the arrowed section blocking the light and heat from entering the lower tube? Would save making a shroud I think. Any ideas. I'm guessing that heat is only created from unfiltered light hitting the primary so in theory you could place a piece of baader film in between the primary and secondary?

post-20202-133877540563_thumb.jpg

I think the problem will be that the light would then have to pass TWICE through the filter to reach the eyepiece - Thereby rendering the sun invisible. Since the topmost ring is of similar design, it must be EQUALLY feasible to do something, in a more conventional way? An interesting project, anyway... :)

No, mounting the foil on top of the lower tube will not work. When you look through the eyepiece youl'll be mainly looking at 99% reflected sunlight from the foil. It wils be almost like looking directly in the sun via 2 flat mirrors (the diagonal and the foil).

No, mounting the foil on top of the lower tube will not work. When you look through the eyepiece youl'll be mainly looking at 99% reflected sunlight from the foil. It wils be almost like looking directly in the sun via 2 flat mirrors (the diagonal and the foil).

That's a very good point, - I hadn't thought of it like that.

I will have a go at making a shroud then. Can I use some offcuts on apair of 10x50 binoculars?

Archived