Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

c9.25 mag

can anyone tell me what the potential magnification on a Celestron C9.25 XLT is? It does seem to say anywhere!!

Same as for any other scope - 30x per inch is as much as is actually useful except for some very specialized tasks (e.g. measuring double stars with a filar micrometer). Most of the time, you won't even be able to use that much, atmospheric turbulence will start to distort & blur the view.

a skymax 180mm is (7.1") is 540x potential.

And you see those nasty 60mm department scopes boasting 600x. It's a myth; 30x per inch is a sensible upper limit (and the atmosphere usually won't let you use more than about x200, at any rate in the UK)

And you see those nasty 60mm department scopes boasting 600x. It's a myth; 30x per inch is a sensible upper limit (and the atmosphere usually won't let you use more than about x200, at any rate in the UK)

Brian,

You just beet me to it....

200x is about max anyway, anything more is just wasted 99% of the time

Hi, can anyone tell me what the potential magnification on a Celestron C9.25 XLT is? It does seem to say anywhere!!

cheers, Mason,

the manuel for my cpc 925 says 555x, I did work it out to as high as 587.5x ( 2.5x235mm) highest useful magnification, not that we'd ever get the chance to use such a high power in this country, I have tried it at 391x, 6mm Vixen LV, I was not very impressed with the view of Jupiter through it but was not expecting too much anyway, who was I kidding at that magnification :)

At x392, I can get really sharp views of the moon (6mm TMB II) (take a look at my C925 review in the review section). That's on a night of excellent seeing (8/10). Jupiter had plenty of detail at x261 (9mm NLV + 9mm Ortho), but I've never seen it in excellent seeing conditions, only average.

Usually I start at x181 (13mm) and work my way up from there.

Archived