Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution and Pleiades

Hi all,

Just a couple out of the shots I took yesterday with some nice clear skies... we wait ages for clouds to do one and then you get nailed by the light pollution. I guess it's 'buy some filters' time :)

Nothing special, just sharing. Enjoy

Light Polluted South Devon

alexb-albums-non-telescope-shots-picture9467-light-pollution-over-paignton.jpg

Pleiades over my back garden

alexb-albums-non-telescope-shots-picture9468-peiades.jpg

Hmm, these looked fine on my laptop. Now edited to show more detail!

That's always the way. I find images look cracking on the camera screen, really exciting stuff. Then you transfer them to the PC and it's just not the same image. :)

It looks like you have lava flowing down the street in the first image....pesky light pollution. But picked up the Pleiades nicely.

My Dad's a Canon man, I didn't know this when my partner got me into Nikons!

I would say though that I'm glad I'm using Nikons as I find them much easier and more intuitive to use than the my Dad's Canons that I've played around with (he's had quite a few even since I've been into it!)

Nikons seem good at higher ISO levels, Canons seem to be able to produce higher MP cameras, but I don't know that you're getting much more quality for it.

The downside, which is more related to this subject, is they don't seem to support astrophotography as well as the Canons do. Canons tend to have a lot more software gizmos to control them from a PC to obtain the long exposures you need for DSO's and the like. Nikons just don't have the support. Even their own control software doesn't support bulb mode!

For a terrestrial camera... it's pretty darn good :) (but my partners 12MP D3 knocks spots of it every time :/)

Archived