Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking Newts !

John

Flocking seems to be thought to be a good thing to do to a newtonain. I have seen 2 approaches described - the whole tube or the area opposite the focusser. Does going to the trouble of doing the whole tube deliver significanly more benefits than just a more limited area - or is the area opposite the focusser the main "trouble spot" ?.

John

I read that the area opposite the focuser is the important bit but I decided to do

all of mine because I get a lot of street light pollution in my yard and I could see

orange light bouncing around the bottom of the tube as well.

It doesn't now the whole OTA has been flocked. :D

Don't forget to flock the reflective non optical edge of the secondary mirrorl facing the focusser as this can be a source of stray light into your eyepiece. I had a roll of self adhesive black fablon material that I used to fully flock a couple of my Newtonians a couple of years back. It was blacker than any other material I had ever seen in a craft shop. I wished I kept the suppliers sticker as I bought it from astro ads on the net and would like to buy some more.

Dave

Archived