Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 periodic error

MartinB

Interesting links Greg.

Particularly impressed with the review of the EQ6 by the:

'... professional research astronomer, a university astronomy educator, and in my leisure time an occasional amateur astronomer/astrophotographer with my own modest gear paid for out of my own pocket'...

I've since had a good chance to give the EQ6 a work out, both for visual and photographic use.

For visual use, well the verdict is easy - as good any mount out there, including anything Losmandy can knock together. If you wanted was a stable mount that could track will viewing, the EQ6 is all you would ever need. 10/10

For short exposure imaging with webcam - This is just superb. Ultra stable with an 8" F5 reflector or C9.25, this makes focusing much easier and the object stays glued to the screen. 10/10

For Medium exposure imaging with MX5-c - Now I tried this at a star party with plenty of premium kit about that should have embarrassed the EQ6 and me. But no, the EQ6 impressed a lot of people. Had no trouble imaging M31 at prime focus for 2 mins unguided with not a hint of trailing or jitters. 8/10

Haven't tried long exposure imaging. But without the ability to plug (without spending another £700) in an autoguider, it would fail miserably. 2/10

Fit and finish isn't bad but doesn't compare to anything by Losmandy. The tripod is excellent, illuminated polar scope works well, zero backlash in the motors and both axis are smooth in operation. 6/10

A solid 8/10 overall

Thanks a lot Greg, the first link is very interesting showing an uncorrected PEC of +/-10 corrected down to +/- 5. This was from 2003 and I believe the gears have been improved since this time. I have read some reports of the PE being as bad as +/-70 for this era of EQ6. That's the best info I have come across.

The first review is useful. He has only done widefield imaging, comments that the PE isn't great and doesn't know how it will stand up to longer F/L work above 800mm. This is exactly what I would be buying the mount for!!! If I new I could PEC down to +/-5 I would find it hard to justify spending over 3 -4 times that amount for a Gemini (esp since it would take a lot of saving up for). I just wish Synta had the confidence to properly rate the tracking standard of their premier mount.

Archived