Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barn door tracker motor

Tadakun

A stepper motor would give more precise control, and a simple crank attached to the motor shaft, and contacting against a pin which is pressed into a drilled hole in the threaded rod.

That arrangement allows a quick rewind of the rod when it has reached the end of it's run.

You could have the motor rewind the rod, if you build the controller to accommodate motor reversal.

Ron.

• 2 weeks later...

You might have a job getting one now but I used a stepper motor complete with the electronics PCB from an old 5.25" floppy disk drive. This saved me the job of having to build any circuitry to drive it. I then used a 555 timer IC to drive the PCB to obtain my 1rpm. The whole thing was powered by a laptop battery. It did require a bit of electronics DIY knowledge to cobble it all together but it worked very well. This was back in April 1997 when I took some photos of comet Hale Boppe which I was very pleased with. Dave

Archived