NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just ordered a 150p, anything else?

Just ordered a 150p for a birthday present to myself from FLO after umming and erring all month. I just have two questions to keep me going.

Anyone know how long i will have to wait for delivery? I guessed that it was too late to phone them now.

Should i buy the Revelation eyepeice kit (£127) or just spend the same amount on a just a couple of better EP's?

Thanks in advance for any tips, can't wait to join the party!

If you have the 150P then I would recommend one or two eyepieces. The 150P will be f/5 and will need good eyepieces. If you had the 150PL then the set may have been reasonable.

You will need a collimator for it.

f/5 scopes need to be kept in good collimation.

before splashing out on new ep,s get to know your scope,decide on what you want to view,ep,s can come later.equipment you will probably need includes a cheshire collimator,a telrad or rigel finder(not absolutely necessary),a couple of good astronomy books.read up enjoy your new scope and you can decide on the slippery slope to upgrading ep,s:D

Use the supplied ep's first so you can get used to the scope. Join a local astro soc and at observing nights you'll be able to try a few different ep's in your scope and get a good idea of what you like. Then get them s/h - you'll get about a third off (on average) and for the best part they'll be in great condition - astronomers look after their kit.

If you have to buy a kit then the Rev is the favourite with good ep's and photo visual flexibility. If it were me though I'd aim at building up a set of choice ep's of good quality. Unfortunately I am me and I made the mistake of getting a set lol.

Hope that helps :)

It takes a while to build up knowledge about eyepieces and what works in any particular scope that you have. Best advice is to not be in a rush and learn as much as possible first. It'll save a lot of time and effort in the long run and helps avoid some inevitable disappointments :)

Congrats on the new scope. Regards eyepieces I purchased a kit in the past and found it a waste of money. Some come with colour filters that you very rarely find of much use and there's usually one EP in a kit that never gets used as it's not suitable for your scope. As Brantuk suggests you would be better off seeing what work best for you & your scope first and keep an eye out on the S/H market.

SPACEBOY

Another helpful thread ,i was starting to panic reading this at first thinking that not only do i have to budget for a scope but will need some extra for EP's before i even use it

I've seen advice that you need to budget at least 50% of the cost of the scope for improved eyepieces. I would not argue with that :)

You don't need to get them straight away though.

I've seen advice that you need to budget at least 50% of the cost of the scope for improved eyepieces. I would not argue with that :)

You don't need to get them straight away though.

or if you like those with green writing on a black background a 200% plus budget:D

I can only re-iterate what has been said from personal experience.

I started with a Vixen A80Mf and the bundled EPs (6 & 20mm). You'll soon find that you'll start looking at things more than others. For example - I look at the moon (too bright for DSOs) and DSOs but not at the other planets.

However the scope is destined for astrophotography but the 13mm BH for me gives a great view. I know from the Vixen what magnifications work and what don't. From that I can work out the EP sizes I'm interested in.

I found a massive difference between the Baader Hyperion 13mm and the bundled Vixen Plossl EPs. The later are dark, dim EPs whereas the BH really gives a good result.

Don't forget - you will get different magnifications out of an EP to others with different scopes. Scope Focal Length / EP FL = magnification.

Spend a month or two with the scope then have a think.

Archived