Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Omega Optical 2" UHC-S filter - quick first impressions

GazOC

This filter passes OIII and H beta lines (like all UHC-S filters), the OIII wavelengths seem a little broader than my Baader UHC-S which, in theory, has it's pros and cons. On one hand it makes the objects brighter but it also should make the views less defined in the OIII wavelengths, in practice the former far outweighed the latter for visual use but I'd guess it would be a problem for imagers.

I tested the filter on a 14" Dob and a 6" refractor, using it on M42 was like flicking a switch, the extra detail was amazing, the plumes and knots that can be hard to see/ follow usually just jumped out at me, particulary in the Dob. The only other objects I got around to testing on were the M galaxies in Ursa Major where the difference was much less pronounced but still noticable, there was no extra detail but the objects stood out agianst the background sky that bit better.

The filter comes from the USA in a sleeve (no box) and a individual report detailing the properties of the filter, all for a bargain £25 plus P&P. In short it's a cracking deal for a 2" UHC-S filter for visual use. I also bought a 1.25" H beta filter for the same price, I'll post a report on that when the clouds clear.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BJOMEJAG-EBUYER-STORE

• 8 months later...

Archived