NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Taking a scope abroad?

My upcoming trip to Sorrento, Italy at Easter is making me consider whether I should try to bring my scope. It's a Skywatcher 150p and I don't know whether it would be worth taking it all the way, as it may get broken or stolen. The sky is usually great and the house I stay at is reasonably far away from Naples. Has anyone had any experience taking their telescope on a plane?

Hi, iv'e taken my OMC as hand luggage on many occations,occationally you might be stopped so they can swab it/ check it etc but generally it's no hassel.

i'd be less inclined to put them into the hold, unless you have a very good and strong lockable case.

weight limitaion is also becoming a real pain; for me at least.

Ray

I think Mak and refractor are more durable than Newt. I have no experience travelling with Newt, but I think it would be a good idea to remove the secondary before travelling. You don't want it to come off during transit and smash the primary.

Would doubt that you will ge a 150P on as cabin baggage. It must be 750-800mm in length and weight a reasonable amount.

The mount should go in the hold, but it is one item which is what most airlines allow before extra charges, what about the reat of your stuff. Noticed you didn't mention the mount.

Is the trip a holiday?

If so does the other half mind you going to stand outside at night instead of doing things with them? They will be very unimpressed if most evening are lost to you having a look at stars. If business will you get the time?

I see folk carry on guitars as cabin baggage on a regular basis, the cabin crew stash them in tall lockers. How these folk arrange this, I do not know, they probably just turn up and expect to be allowed on, but then I see so many items of 'cabin baggage' which really aught to be placed in the hold being dragged on and forcebly squeezed into the overhead lockers.

I've had my skymax 90 sent through the ordeals of baggage handlers a couple of times without any problem, other than the black grease migrating onto the primary once.

Would doubt that you will ge a 150P on as cabin baggage. It must be 750-800mm in length and weight a reasonable amount.

The mount should go in the hold, but it is one item which is what most airlines allow before extra charges, what about the reat of your stuff. Noticed you didn't mention the mount.

Is the trip a holiday?

If so does the other half mind you going to stand outside at night instead of doing things with them? They will be very unimpressed if most evening are lost to you having a look at stars. If business will you get the time?

Not got another half (yet!). Some of my relatives there want to see some planets/the moon, and I know Saturn's getting better all the time...

Sounds to me like the perfect excuse to buy a new scope......

I would suggest a Celestron C6 or a Skymax 150 Pro.

HTH

I wish!

I took a celestron 4inch refractor and mount all the way to austraila with singapore airlines. I had the mount in the case and bubble rapped the scope and kept the scope in the over head locker. You could always get a large binos to take with you.

Archived