cool down

ok here is how i understand it and im a complete novice.

The scope requires time to adjust to the outside temperature so that you dont see and distortion from the heatwaves rising from your scope.

Now if i have got that wrong im more than happy to be corrected:D

Yeah thats about it, if you keep your scope in a warm area, then take it outside where it is cold/cool, then you will get thermal distortion (sp?) which will spoil your view. The warm air in your scope will circulate round and distort the light entering your scope. I currently keep mine indoors, but leave it outside for an hour or so to cool before using it.

Thanks Daz for great advice for super newbie here, I live about 1000feet above sea level, no street lights whatsoever so no light pollution, I hope during the hot summer months (ground heat escaping-thermals ?) will not cause problems with my viewing.

Yes it proberbly will, you will also be surprised about how much heat is stored in the brickwork of a house, in summer, you have to use your scope away from the house as the heat radiating off the brickwork can cause issues, I`m assuming the same would be for the ground?

I hope during the hot summer months

You don't live in the UK then :rolleyes:

Seriously though in the summer in the UK the long summer daysplay havoc with astronomy and up here in North Wales hours of darkness are limited so you may have nothing to worry about.

I am originally from North Wales but moved away for work purposes, have lived out here for six years now.

I was hoping to use my roof as a viewing platform but it remains warm for ages after sunset so maybe this might not work out for me, but I will take it one step at a time and see what happens and then decide on a plan B, one thing is I will not be deterred.

There is a surprising amount of air turbulence in the first 10 meters or so of air so if you can get above that it's generally a good thing. Course if you're on a roof that is also radiating heat then you're no better off!

Archived