NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing

Asur84

I normally give myself a mission so it gives me focus - at the moment I aim to learn 1 new constellation a viewing where possible. If I know there will be clear skies then I write a quick-guide on a scrap of paper, for e.g. how to star-hop to get to the view that is wanted..

Only using Bins at the moment - do you have a scope? If you are using bins this link is good and very handy

http://www.minds.may.ie/~astro2/IFASData/IFASBinocularHandbook.pdf

Also of course I always see something that is unexpected then I use my dictaphone to record its locaiton, and then scuttle back and use Stellarium to check what it was! :)

John

EDIT oh I see in your Sig you have a scope ;)

EDIT oh I see in your Sig you have a scope :glasses1:

Yeah I have a little baby one to get me started and used to moving around the sky, well when its clear enough to actually get outside to use it of course.

Jonathon.

I check ahead of time for satellite passes and current events like comets, GRS transits, supernovae, and possible Auroral displays. If the Moon is out, i check the VMA to see where the favorable libration is, and then check for predicted crater rays... they're lots of fun. For deep sky objects, i've compiled about 15 observing lists and choose which ever one matches the conditions. And i always do at least two sketches per session... mostly for fun, but sometimes for work.

Always keep a small notebook and note down the objects you intend to find and/or observe and document it in your notebook. You can use the stellarium software to pick out the objects and you can advance the time to the actual time you will be in the field to sequence your observations. Don't rely too much on goto because the scope may get misaligned easily and you wouldn't always know it. Also, when you are looking for objects use a low power EP...(25 or 32 even 40 mm)

I keep observing notes whenever I am out there. One of the pleasures of these horrible wet nights with no hope of observing is looking back at some of my early notes of sessions I had with my first scope.

I always go out with a couple of targets to look for and spend some time on those, plus picking off old favourites that I find I can't resist. From my viewing site I have a limited view, which fortunately covers the South and west, so I will tend to look at what is there. Targets around Orion are currently what I am looking for, although a tour of the clusters in Cass is also on my to do list.

Archived