NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Caldwell list

Hi all

I have just started the Massier list and the Caldwell list, now my question is can all of them be seen with a 10'' dob?

Now this may be a stupid question but hay, I have been trying to find some open clusters with some success but some of them blend in to the stars around them so well how do you guys know that you are looking at that open cluster you intended to see?. Thank's for the help Andy.

Hi Andy thats a tuff project you are going to take on, not sure how many you will see with the 10" but as I'm sure your well aware the darker the skies the better the chances of seeing the more elusive ones.

I am sure someone with far more experience will let you know if its possible, another factor will be your latitude, for my Messier count I am aware I will need to head south to bag them all :)

Hi Alan as I don't drive and live in North Wales I think I may be some time on this one then. LOL

well you know they'll all still be there for next few billion years so you have the time to see them all :)

good luck, keep us all posted on your progress ;)

O well I think it will be find as many as possable and enjoye them for whoat thay are.

Thanks guys.

thats really what its all about, I never get tired of being amazed and captivated by the objects I'm observing, its great to view some new ones, just impesses even more :)

For better or worse, I invested in the O'meara Books on both series (plus the other one too). One notes S.O'M has eighth magnitude skies? <G>. I note too, in his forward to the Caldwell book (which include "Southern" objects) Sir Patrick himself notes that he could (theoretically!) see around 72/109, of the N-S ordered objects, from Selsey latitudes, without allowances for the practical horizon. :)

As to the true certitude re. picking out some objects, against background... It's a GOOD point. <G> The line-drawings in the above books are useful, if a tad "fanciful"? Not always easy to pick the precise orientation, and photographic magnitudes also bias? But I have a cunning plan to take "Holiday Snaps", of the difficult ones, with my Watec, for offline comparison. Such is possible, even without a driven scope... And, naturally, GoTo helps! :)

I hope to return a give these a second visual perusal afterwards (honest guv). ;)

As you can see from my signature I have completed the Messier list and quite a number of the Caldwell list.

Some of the Messier objects at around -30 Dec can be very difficult from the UK. In fact I have never seen M7 from the UK but saw it in Spain. It also took me a few years to finally view M70 because it was always lost in the haze. There are a few faint Messier objects but if you have reasonable skies they will be visible in a 10".

The Caldwell objects cover both hemispheres and from the UK I think C67 is the limit. There are some tough ones within this 67 and you may require the help of UHC/O111/H-Beta filters to see them all. I have reasonable dark skies and I have still failed to view C17 (NGC147) in my 10" Dob - but I keep trying.

Enjoy the list it is good to hunt these DSOs down.

Mark

Thanks alot guy's as I have already stated I think I shall sit back and enjoy them whilst keeping a journal, and if it takes me twenty years atlest I have enjoyed them. All the best Andy.

Archived