Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging main scope & mount, budget ~£3K

NickK

Good to have some real world feedback - I've heard quite a bit of grumbling over the SXD (the all white sphinx with different motors etc) and less so over the SXW (mainly todo with the controller brightness etc).

It does seem that, 1530+219+VAT = £2098, makes the SWD less attractive considering the issues. I understand that Vixen attempt to keep their prices at a 'premium' but if the technology doesn't deliver it's a no brainer. Yes I like the prettiness of the design but in a dark field that's not going to get noticed!

So the ford option - it does everything 'ok' - has persuaded me that the EQ6 is the preferred option.

My question now is - which out of the multitude of variants? I'd like to be able to connect it to the computer (Mac). Don't worry about the software side (drivers etc) - I'm developing an ASCOM-esque initiative on the Mac and already have the ATIK working directly without drivers so a serial/USB/LAN connection will be simple.

Off topic - why haven't Mount vendors used Power over Ethernet Class 3? I think it will give enough power to run a mount over the Ethernet cable! Having one cable linking all the components for power and data would be far neater and give a faster data transfer!

So now to the OTA..

Pentax pros and cons (for me - and please check my reasoning here):

+ premium optics - better resolution and no spikes

+ no VAT (ie 1800 is the total amount)

+ imaging friendly at f6.4

+ leaves budget for additional kit

- 670mm focal length is short (the A80Mf is 910mm) so my concern is that the images will be smaller (with little option to create more detailed images with mosaics etc)

- could be sold very quickly (I'm dependent on a large back payment coming through in the next week or so).

Is 670mm restrictive? Id like to get in closer to objects than the A80Mf (910mm, f11.4) will allow for imaging and visual. Could a 2x Barlow with the premium optics allow the scope to be used for higher mag visual use?

Dare I take the suggestion of looking at the Newts? I've not considered a newt to be honest.

My understanding is that FL over 1000mm for imaging are considered high end. Does 1300mm cause that much of an issue?

Hmm.. I hate you all and your good advice :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pentax on an EQ6 would allow you to change cameras several times before you needed to worry about the scope or mount!

I love my 132FLT with the Feathertouch focuser and TMB field Flattener, but If I was in the market for an imaging scope right now then I'd have bitten the hand off the Pentax owner...

For me the Pentax on an EQ6 would be a straightforward no brainer. A truly incredible setup, futureproofed, world class optically, tolerant, plug and play, sellable, low risk./QUOTE]

Here, here

I think that was my original point Olly.....

I hear you, so please don't think the advice is getting ignored :) I've given Neil a prod to get an image or two so I can visually see what the scope will give me in terms of FOV etc. My equipment will not be as good but it would go a long way to satisfy questions - remember this is also my first "big" scope too. So one step at a time ;)

I have apos giving focal lengths of 328, 450 and 980 mm. The two shorter ones seem to have the most targets. 980 is nice to have but does slightly fall between two worlds in that it is not enough for all but a dozen or so galaxies and is too much for quite a few nebulae. To give you an idea, here is the Sagittarius Triplet in the Baby Q at 328 and then one part of that, the Trifid, in the TEC at 980. Lots of targets are large and mosaics are great to do in any focal length.

935757461_PCNBS-S.jpg

928841121_dugLY-S.jpg

You can model chip sizes on CCD calc to see what your field of view would be. This is very important and must inform your decision.

For me it would be somewhere around 1.8 metres that would get me into small galaxy territory and out of that slight no man's land around a metre. Again, just me.

Is it really harder to guide around 1300mm than around 700? Oh yes! Also more things get to you. Wind and bad seeing both stop useful longer FL imaging

when shorter FL projects sail merrily along...

Olly

You guys are doing an excellent job on my behalf many thanks.

Just to update interested parties, I have in the time owning this wonderful scope, unpacked it - placed it on the mount - done a few sample shots - found critical focus - and then not had time to use any of it because of work commitments / bad weather / personnel circumstances.....:)

I also have a minty atik 383l that I also bought last year, unpacked - checked the software - ran at -15 degrees, did some sample shots and then packed away again. Real life is a pain in the *ss sometimes!

So I just want this wonderful instrument to go to someone who can use it with more regularity than my once a year check!

The condition of the scope is near perfect, the optics are clear, no blemishes, focuser is robust and tank like. It simply is a step up in class over the normal run of the mill.

I've contacted you Nick with my phone number, call if you wish to discuss.

Thank, Neil.

Hi Neil, thanks for taking the time for a call - it was good talking to you :)

As stated, I'm certainly interested although as stated I'm at the whim of a chain of companies (oh the joy of contracting) and prefer to have the cash first before making firm offer rather than mess anyone around being a chain.

You guys are doing an excellent job on my behalf many thanks.

Just to update interested parties, I have in the time owning this wonderful scope, unpacked it - placed it on the mount - done a few sample shots - found critical focus - and then not had time to use any of it because of work commitments / bad weather / personnel circumstances.....:)

I also have a minty atik 383l that I also bought last year, unpacked - checked the software - ran at -15 degrees, did some sample shots and then packed away again. Real life is a pain in the *ss sometimes!

So I just want this wonderful instrument to go to someone who can use it with more regularity than my once a year check!

The condition of the scope is near perfect, the optics are clear, no blemishes, focuser is robust and tank like. It simply is a step up in class over the normal run of the mill.

I've contacted you Nick with my phone number, call if you wish to discuss.

Thank, Neil.

Ii just really wish there was a way I could take this off your hands :-) but with a wedding in less than 2 months it just isn't possible right now.

As usual when I have the funds there won't be anything this good available anywhere!!!

Vixen have a lot to learn from Pentax...

... like adding a zero or two to the price tag?

Vixen scopes are by no means bad but they're simply not built to the same mechanical standard as Pentax scopes. Or Takahashi. OTOH the built-down-to-a-price-point Chinese stuff makes the Vixen look & feel pretty luxurious.

... like adding a zero or two to the price tag?

Vixen scopes are by no means bad but they're simply not built to the same mechanical standard as Pentax scopes. Or Takahashi. OTOH the built-down-to-a-price-point Chinese stuff makes the Vixen look & feel pretty luxurious.

I know, I know. It's just the difference when you have them side by side. I still have a soft spot for vixen and they're good scopes - even my chinese A80Mf is well made considering the price.

The Pentax, by standard, will take my 1.25" EPs. Neil also provided the 2" adaptor ring too. I'm resisting the urge to get myself a Baader Hyperion tomorrow (as there is still budget)..

Nick

How about an Astrotrac system for imaging....?

Something like a 3 or 4" quality refractor to go with it.

Take a look at Astrotrac on the FLO website. I had a good look at them at this years Astrofest and was seriously impressed.

Why bother with a bulky equatorial mount ?

With the money left over from your 3K you could then look for a decent second hand Dobsonian for your visual.

Just a suggestion....

TB

How about an Astrotrac system for imaging....?

Something like a 3 or 4" quality refractor to go with it.

It's a serious option ... and should work reasonably well with a 3" / 80mm scope. I'd be skecpical about going much more than that, though it depends on what you are supporting the Astrotrac drive unit with ... I had a Canon 300mm f/2.8 lens (approx. 3.5 Kg incl camera) on an Astrotrac supported by a AZ3 mount (the old version Astrotrac which was not capable of autoguiding) & it worked all right but anything heavier would have risked tipping over, especially given more than a breath or two of wind.

Looks like I'll have to go for the SynScan rather than the SynTrek as the syntrek only has RA-axis motor control according to the SW website here. I didn't pickup on this initially and when imaging it would be a bit of a pain to get CCD positioning manually.

Looks like I'll have to go for the SynScan rather than the SynTrek as the syntrek only has RA-axis motor control according to the SW website here. I didn't pickup on this initially and when imaging it would be a bit of a pain to get CCD positioning manually.

It would indeed. When I shot the near invisible Simeis 147 I put its co-ordinates into the SynScan as a user object, recentered on a nearby star and then used go-to. I did not need to move the mount at all. Incredible. And it did it again the next night. (By the way, I tried the Tak mount in a similar way, using the planetarium on the computer to do the Go To. It got there but half way through I got an error message so there was no way I could do a meridian flip without a re-boot, which means warming up the camera, which is

why I like handsets!!!)

Olly

Archived