NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing with Reverse Binoculars

Ad Astra

Hi folks,

I'm new to SGL, but I enjoy binocular observing quite a bit! I have a special pair of binos that are quite wonderful, but not exactly your average pair of grab-n-go optics.

The RB-10's from JMI have a 250mm f/5 newtonian reflector for EACH eye. My eyepiece set for these beauties will take them from 15x to 165x with narry a problem.

DSO's are stunning, and the telrad finder helps with aiming. ;) The entire rig weighs in at about 48 kg (lighter than you might expect), and movement on the alt/az mount is very smooth and easy. This are the only binos I know of with motorbike handlebars, but I must say, they work perfectly! Focus, inter-occular spacing, and collimation controls are right on the handles, individual focus, of course!

Orion was terrific a few nights ago, at low power, I had the entire sword region, some nice color in the nebula and the trapezium well defined. The 3-D effect you get is really spectacular. I know that the view isn't 'really' 3-D, but your brain gets so much detail from both eyes that the view really does appear stereoscopic - much more than with any other instrument I've seen - including large aperture scopes with bino-viewers on them.

I do take them out on public outreach and star labs occasionally (I teach astronomy for a living) - so if y'all are planning to be out in Southern California - stop by for a look-through! :)

Dan

post-24566-133877531918_thumb.jpg

They are more portable than you might think!

Two people can easily lift the main assembly off the mount and toss it in the SUV - fills the boot pretty completely, as you might expect! :)

Still, setup and collimation check takes less than 5 minutes. The real trouble is when you invite someone to sit down and take the wheel, so to speak.... then you have to pry them away from the eyepiece!

Dan

Wow! What a piece of equipment you have there! I should be in Florida at ten end of May. I want to hike in the Everglades. I might stop by for a look!

Isabelle

You would have a long hike! I'm in the low desert inland from Los Angeles in California!!! :)

Dan

Archived