Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Eyepiece Set?

G2EWS

I have a 4" refractor with a focal length similar to your scope Chris. The eyepieces I use with it are (all Tele Vue):

31mm Nagler

20 mm Nagler

13 mm Ethos

8 mm Ethos

6mm Ethos

I also use a 1.6x 2" Antares barlow lens to give higher power views as the 6mm Ethos is really a medium power eyepiece in the F/6.5 refractor.

As you can see you need a range of eyepieces to get the most from a scope.

I've used the Baader Genuine Ortho's and the Pentax XW's. Both are optically excellent but the Baader, in common with other ortho's, has tight eye relief, ie: the viewer needs to get his / her eye very close the the top lens to see the full field of view and the field of view is much narrower than the other two. The Pentax is much more comfortable in this respect, possibly the most comfortable to use of the 3 you have listed.

None of the 3 eyepieces is "best". All are great but have different characteristics and design features.

The Pentax is probably the one that is most intuitive to use.

Hope that helps.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for the input.

Need to make sure I have at least one of them ready for SGL6! Oh and any chance I might get of looking at the skies and trying out my kit before then!

'Fat Chance' :)

Best regards

Chris

Hi John,

Many thanks once again for your input.

I am desparately trying to walk before I run, but playing with the **** eyepieces that came with the spotter scope showed me I need to do something.

As you have seen in your help on this thread, I started low and have worked my way up. I really don't want to make the same mistake I made when buying camera lenses. In the early days I could not understand why anyone would spend £2 - £6k for a single lens. But experience showed me why and I have now changed almost every lens I own so I have the best opportunity of getting a photo.

With this new hobby I don't want to make the same mistake even if it does not last and fades into nothing in a year. I am not a guy to tread lightly!

So it seems the Pentax is the way to go, but I reckon it would be best for me to buy one to start with and work my way up as I see fit. Unless you or others tell me otherwise that is!

With this in mind I will order the 5mm XW tomorrow so I can at lest have a play. Fat chance as mentioned of seeing any skies though!

Best regards

Chris

The Pentax XW's are great eyepieces but having just the one will really limit the enjoyment that your scope can give, unless you are prepared to put up with the supplied eyepieces for other focal lengths / magnifications.

An alternative suggestion would be to get the 24mm, 8mm and 5mm Baader Hyperions which have similar characteristics to the Pentax XW's, will work very well in your 80mm F/7.5 scope and will give you a decent range of magnifications - 25x, 75x and 120x. All 3 could be bought for around the cost of a single Pentax XW.

Just a thought :)

The world of eyepieces is as complicated as the world of scopes - in fact I'd guess that there are possibly more posts on forums on eyepiece choices than there are on scopes !

In some ways having an ample budget makes things worse - on more limited funds the choices are simpler :)

If I had an 80ED and no funding issues, a Pentax XW5 would definitely be top of my list.

Many people use Baader Hyperions as a "stepping stone" to better eyepieces in future, but you never need to "upgrade" from a Pentax XW to anything. You're right there - at the finish line :)

For future reference however, bear in mind that the 14mm and 20mm versions of the Pentax XWs have too much field curvature for many people's tastes.

I don't think there's a single range of eyepieces I'd like to own as a complete set. For any scope, the best final choice always seems to be a bit of a hotchpotch of different eyepieces.

As you seem to like Nikon products Chris, I spotted these for sale through a German retailer which may be of interest:

Teleskop online Shop , TMB, APO , Dobson , Professionelle Teleskope, Kuppeln , Teleskopabdeckungen , Teleskope , Ferngläser , Teleskope online kaufen , APM Telescopes - Verkauf Beratung Herstellung Nikon NAV HW 12,5mm Okular

If you get one and bring it to SGL6 - please can I have a go :)

Hi John,

I reckon you have been trying to find the most expensive eyepiece you can find!!

Very good, but not for me. Well not until I buy this:

Takahashi FCT-200 Fluorite ED Triplet Refractor Observatory Telescope Takahashi TFS2003 Telescopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Microscopes, Riflescopes, Astronomical Accessories,Refractor,Reflector,Monoculars,Night Vision,Cassegrain,GPS,Optical Tub

Which I am testing next week :) honest!!!

Regards

Chris

Hi John,

I reckon you have been trying to find the most expensive eyepiece you can find!!

Very good, but not for me....

Very sensible Chris :)

Spending packets of money on an eyepiece does necessarily not show you any more. Some of the best views I've had in my 30+ years in the hobby have come from very modest equipment. It's when the observing conditions come right that the "magic" happens and no amount of investment can influence that - unless you move to Hawaii, Arizona etc, etc :o

Hi John,

Just been in conversation with a Brother who takes a couple of months in Teneriffe every year. He told me the stars are very clear and bright and I understand there are a lot of observatories out there.

Tempting me to go out and stay with him!!!

Regards

Chris

Teneriffe is a good place to observe from, clear most nights and the LP is pretty good especially if you get away from the tourist areas on the south coast. The best thing about the viewing, you can do it wearing shorts as the temperature does not get that cold, maybe 65 degree's in December when I was there a few years ago. Beats this country with all the cloud cover we have had over the last month. I have only been out twice this year and it is doing my head in! I have done more advice sessions to people who are just starting in astronomy this year, maybe I should change jobs?:)

Hi Peter,

I reckon instructor will be the answer!

Based on all the help and advice I have just ordered:

Baader Hyperion 68 degree eyepiece

5mm

8mm

21mm

They did not have the 24mm in stock.

So by the time they arrive the sky will have cleared!!!

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the comment, Chris!

I do not think I am in that league just yet?

The eye pieces look a good choice, will be nice to look through one of them soon? Maybe sometime in mid March if we ever get rid of these clouds, they are doing my head in.

Hopefully I will be able to photograph some constellations next week, with warmer weather I might even get away with shorts!

Catch up with you later.

Regards

Peter

Archived