NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camping enthusiast looking for help

During most of the year, I do my stargazing with a SkyWatcher 10 inch Truss-Tube Dobsonian. I love everything about it except the fact that when summer comes along, I have to leave it behind when I head out wilderness camping. Now, as most of you know, going camping without a telescope is unthinkable. Think again for this is what I have been doing up till now. I had binoculars and still do (not the best I agree since they are for birdwatching) but I would rather have a telescope.

What am I looking for? Something relatively small since traveling is involved, compact, cheap (since I don't like leaving expensive equipment lying around the campsite) that is good for deep sky objects but can deliver a satisfactory image of the planets and moon.

On this month's "Sky and Telescope" they reviewed three small telescopes where two are likely candidates being: The SkyScanner 100mm TableTop Reflector and the GoScope 80mm TableTop Rerfractor. I like both of these since we do have a small table with us when we go camping which will give me more stability than a mount.

My question to you is simple. What is YOUR opinion about the scopes? I know that they have been reviewed but you know magazines right,.. sometimes they give good reviews to likely sponsors. I don't know "Sky and Telescope"' s reputation when it comes to being unbiased but there is one thing I do know,.. I TRUST YOU ALL.

I have to say that I am more attracted to the SkyScanner since it does have a little extra aperture than the others.

At the price, this telescope is probably worth it but I ask myself, are there other scopes out there that are maybe a little more expensive (up to $250.00) that would best serve my camping / starwatching needs?

Thank you so much for your help.

Isabelle

It looks great Andy but I had one like this before and the incessant traveling (including some hiking to the campsite) resulted in wear and tear. The brackets of the mount actually broke after a couple of excursions. This is why I was thinking of a tabletop. I told myself that there would be less to carry and less wear and tear.

Thank you for your suggestion and will definitely keep it in mind. It looks great for the price that they are asking. I tell myself that at that price. Who cares if the brackets break?

Isabelle

These are very interesting choices that you have given me. I have seen the Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube reviewed before and it has done well as a small telescope. I can't believe that I had fogotten it since I have recommended it myself for beginner astronomer.

Thanks Nick, the SkyScanner is also shown on one of the sites you have provided. The others are a little too pricey and not one I would feel comfortable to leave unattended when hiking or kayaking.

I understand that I will be losing power but when wilderness camping, convenience comes first. Now I am seriously debating between the Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube and the orion SkyScanner

Thanks everyone, you have all given me something to think about!

Isabelle

The Orion StarSeeker 80mm GoTo Refractor Telescope also attracted my attention. not only would it be good for camping but it is a scope I could use as a companion to my Dobsonian back home for harder to find objects.

Yeah,.. this has indeed given me lots to think about.

Isabelle

Hehe.. the tripod base of the orion starseeker is the same tripod on the vixen porta mount by the look of it :)

Never sure about mixing GOTO and camping - the electrics require a heavy battery/charger.

If you're in a dark sky location you could probably get away with a longer focal length to zoom in a bit more. Another option is a tripod and a pair of large aperture bins.

Archived